UltravioletPhotography

What is a good lens for UV for canon FD mount (if one exists)?

Gideon Meissner

So, you are using film then? I probably would look into converting a Noflexar 35 mm f/3.5 or similar. Preferably in Exacta mount, which happens to be the most common version of the Noflexar.

The FD mount has 42 mm register. The Exacta is 44.7 mm. Most of the difference can be negotiated simply by removing the thick Exacta bayonet. Get hold of an FD mount and let a machinist mill off the additional length of the lens casing if required.

I have been able to convert a Canon tilt/shift lens 35 mm f/2.8 from Canon FD (42 mm register) to Nikon F (46.5 mm register). Just to indicate there are solutions if one looks deeper into the matter.

Welcome as a member on UVP, by the way. What about providing us with an Introduction?

Gideon Meissner

So, you are using film then? I probably would look into converting a Noflexar 35 mm f/3.5 or similar. Preferably in Exacta mount, which happens to be the most common version of the Noflexar.

The FD mount has 42 mm register. The Exacta is 44.7 mm. Most of the difference can be negotiated simply by removing the thick Exacta bayonet. Get hold of an FD mount and let a machinist mill off the additional length of the lens casing if required.

I have been able to convert a Canon tilt/shift lens 35 mm f/2.8 from Canon FD (42 mm register) to Nikon F (46.5 mm register). Just to indicate there are solutions if one looks deeper into the matter.

Welcome as a member on UVP, by the way. What about providing us with an Introduction

Thanks for the advice, yes I am using film, I probably should have specified I use a Canon AE-1. So basically you saying to convert or get a conversion done fir the Nofelxar? And I absolutely will do an introduction I just haven't gotten around to it.
In addition to adapted lenses, be aware that FL lenses will also fit your AE-1. As these are older, they may have a better chance of having decent UV bandpass.

Any lens in the list that has M42 mount will fit Canon FD with appropriate adapter.

That would be this list and the Noflexar 35 mm f/3.5 comes in M42 as well.

In addition to adapted lenses, be aware that FL lenses will also fit your AE-1. As these are older, they may have a better chance of having decent UV bandpass.

I have been thinking about trying FL lenses for a while but procrastinate from the thought of yet another adapter.

Oh, I feel a GAS attack coming on.

I have been thinking about trying FL lenses for a while but procrastinate from the thought of yet another adapter.

As the FD/FL mount had the shortest FFD of almost any SLR lens series, adapting them to other SLR mounts is a fraught proposition. If they could be adapted to mirrorless cameras, that might work, if anyone has actually made the adapter. The flip side of the issue is that adapting other mount lenses to FD/FL-mount cameras is possible for many lens lines.