UltravioletPhotography

Eremophila neglecta

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2014. Eremophila neglecta J.M. Black (Scrophulariaceae) Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...phila-neglecta/

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

25 March 2014

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Comment

Eremophila neglecta occurs in northern South Australia and southern Northern Territory.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/180 s @ f/11 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-49434900-1397022788.jpg

Image Reference: DO52233

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nikon SB-14 flash, 1/180s @ f/11 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-49673700-1397022810.jpg

Image Reference: DO5239

References:

Chinnock, R.J. Eremophila and Allied Genera, Rosenberg, 2007, p. 639.

Boschen, N., Goods, M. and Wait, R. Australia’s Eremophilas – changing gardens for a changing climate, Bloomings Books, 2008, p.135.

Atlas of Living Australia http://bie.ala.org.a...ophila+neglecta

Published 9 April 2014

The diversity of this genus is just amazing. The species epithet "neglecta" is proven to be superfluous with all the attention you have been giving these species.

Are they difficult to identify, or do the available floras produce good keys for the identification?

The eremophila "bible" is Chinnock and I always go first to check that what Sue has grown really does correspond to the label (that's not always the case, the recent E. latrobei subsp. glabra had been wrongly labelled as subsp. filiformis but the leaves were clearly wrong). Sue is in the eremophila study group of the Australian Plants Society so she sees the latest in field guides etc. The latest (Brown & Buirchell, 2011, Field Guide to the Eremophilas of Western Australia) has a whole section on Undescribed eremophilas. Quote from that book:

.... Chinnock 2007 covered all 218 Eremophila species known at that time including 132 that had been previously named and 86 new species that Bob Chinnock formally named for the first time in the book. .... This field guide provides photos and descriptions for 289 taxa (219 species, 69 subspecies and 1 variety) of eremophila found in Western Australia, including 232 that are named and a further 57 that are currently un-named but thought to be distinct. End Quote

This does not include Eremophillas found in other States

Thus it may be correct to surmise some of the Eremophilas are shown here on UVP site for the first time ever in UV?
My personal opinion (for what it's worth) is that all the UV images of Australian native plants that I am photographing have never been published before in colour. There were some B&W images with early papers in the 1980s and 1990s . If this statement is incorrect I'm sure someone out there will put me right. I have just had an article "Ultraviolet photos of Australian native plants" published in Growing Australian. March 2014, p. 8, that's the magazine of the Australian Plants Society, Victoria. I stated in the article "I think the illustrations with this article may be the first published UV photos of Australian native plants". The illustrations were all wildflowers taken last Spring and already posted to UVP, Goodenia blackiana, Calochilus reobertsonii, Caladenia cucullata, Gompholobium huegelli, Thelymitra megacalyptra, Burchardia umbellata and Bulbine bulbosa. I have another article in the press that I'll tell you about when it's published in May.
Dave, I'm so pleased to hear about your article in Growing Australian. Congratulations!

Congratulations Dave!

I had few of my pictures published in Wildlife Australia last year (autumn issue), but those were of two invasive plants in Australia.