UltravioletPhotography

Leitz lens?

Jolly Roger

Jolly Roger

Have also posted this in my 'introduction' thread, but that's getting a bit top heavy, so here we go again.

On my quest for my first lens for UV I have been offered a Leitz 100mm f4.8 Lens with Single Coating, any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Alan

Alan, we have two Leitz lenses listed in the Lens Sticky. However, they are not the model you mention.

If the lens is being offered by Klaus Schmitt, then you can rest assured it will work for UV as he tests all offered lenses and has top knowledge about which lenses do or do not work well for UV. If you have another source for the lens, perhaps he/she can offer some UV photos made with this particular Leitz?

Which lens it is exactly? Milar or something else? There should be more than just focal length and aperture written on the lens.

Coating is just one of many factors that influence lens performance in UV. I have few single-coated and uncoated lenses - they all perform differently.

For the very first purchase I would rather buy a lens that is listed in the "Stickies", there are a bunch of them, ranging from 28 to 400 mm in focal length.

dunksargent

Have also posted this in my 'introduction' thread, but that's getting a bit top heavy, so here we go again.

On my quest for my first lens for UV I have been offered a Leitz 100mm f4.8 Lens with Single Coating, any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Alan

Both 100mm Leitz Summar and 100mm Leitz Milar macro lenses were once listed … all Milar and Summar lenses are f4.5 . If coated it's probably post-war - but lenses were also retro-coated if owners sent them back to Leitz so it could be a prewar lens. Summar lenses have superior colour correction . Some Milars are not engraved 'Milar' thus likely that some Summars are not engraved 'Summar' . Last week I bought a mystery 35mm Leitz lens which has no logo / engraving (apart from Leitz 35mm) but which is identical to a 35mm Milar. Most Summar and Milar lenses are calibrated with numerical aperture - same as microscope lenses.

dunk

Jolly Roger

Thanks to all, seems this is not an ideal option for a first timer, will go through the sticky list and try again.

Thanks,

Alan

I have a huge Leitz lens, 250mm! it is a monster...not sure if I can test it for UV because the rear mount is threaded at 53mm.
Jolly Roger

Have just managed to get a Meyer-optik Gorlitz Domiplan 50mm 2.8 with M42 mount, hope this is a good start? Now just need to hook it up to the camera, get my filters and I'm off!

Alan