UltravioletPhotography

Aegopodium podagraria [Goutweed]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Aegopodium podagraria L. (Apiaceae). Goutweed. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light, with fluorescence. http://www.ultraviol...raria-goutweed/

Aegopodium podagraria L.

NO: Skvallerkål

SE: Kirskål; skvallerkål

DK: Skvalderkål

FI: Vuohenputki

DE: Giersch

EN: Goutweed; Ground-Elder

This is a medium tall, rarely more than 1 m, perennial umbel species native to Eurasia and introduced elsewhere. It has an ancient use as a pot herb and spring vegetable, but these days likely is more infamous for its phenomenal capacity to withstand eradication when it invades shady areas of a garden. In its natural habitats, such as undercover in shaded forests or along brooks, it flowers less frequent and rely on the rhizome and runners to disperse itself quickly and efficiently. It flowers usually in second half of June or early in July.

Plants were collected near Oslo, Norway 23 June 2013. These specimens were just entering the flowering stage.

AEGO_POD_I130633230_VIS.jpg

Image reference: AEGO_POD_I130633230_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, Medical-Nikkor 120 mm f/4 lens, built-in ring flash.

AEGO_POD_I1306342188_UV.jpg

Image reference: AEGO_POD_I1306342188_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nkon D600 broad-spectrum, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, 95 frames stacked in Zerene Stacker. This is a small crop (800x800 pix) from the larger imageto show the patterns of conical cell on the petals and the large two-lobed nectaria at the base of the double style.

AEGO_POD_I1306244315_UVIFL.jpg

Image reference: AEGO_POD_I1306244315_UVIFL.jpg

Ultraviolet induced fluorescence: Nkon D600 broad-spectrum, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter + Kodak 2E, Nichia UV-LED (narrowband 365 mm) torch.

References:

http://www.ultraviol...ure-references/