UltravioletPhotography

Waldsteinia ternata [Barren Strawberry]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Waldsteinia ternata (Stephan) Fritsch (Rosaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

Waldsteinia ternata (Stephan) Fritsch

NO: Muregull

EN: Barren Strawberry

The genus Waldsteina comprises five species in the northern hemisphere, some native to Northern America others to Central Asia. The systematic position within the Rosaceae is somewhat unclear. These plants are often cultivated as ground cover and sometimes escape from gardens. They propagate by runners so establish a covering mat quickly. Flowering (Norway) is late May to early June. No seeds are set.

Plants were collected and photographed at Sørum, southern Norway 26 May 2010. These were garden escapes but not fully naturalised as the colony appently died back the next winter.

WALD_TER_I1005261321_VIS.jpg

Image reference: WALD_TER_I1005261321_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

WALD_TER_I1005261323_UV.jpg

Image reference: WALD_TER_I1005261323_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D200, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor Minicom studio flash with uncoated Xenon tube.

The flowers of W. ternata strongly reflect UV light. The stamens, style, and anthers all are very dark in UV.

References:

Kalkman, C. 2004. Rosaceae. In: Klaus Kubitzki (Publishers): The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants - Volume VI - Flowering Plants - Dicotyledons - Celastrales, Oxalidales, Rosales, Cornales, Ericales, 2004, S. 343–386, ISBN 978-3-540-06512-8

[Published 29 Apr 2013]