UltravioletPhotography

Fixing IR Shutter LED Light Leakage

Shane

Shane, that is quite interesting. Thank you so much for finding this.

First, I was under the perhaps erroneous impression that a block over the shutter monitor would cause errors in the camera software because it would appear that the shutter was not firing properly. But it is not entirely clear to me from the article's photos whether the foam muffler is place over the part containing the shutter monitor sensor?

Second, I did not know that the D5200 was troubled by IR contamination. I had read somewhere that recent shutter monitors operated in a very "high" IR range and did not cause this contamination.

We need to find out more about this and follow up somehow. Perhaps one of the converter stores will perform some experiments with this.

Added: I see that the table does not list the D700 as an IR leaker. We should tell them!!!

First, I was under the perhaps erroneous impression that a block over the shutter monitor would cause errors in the camera software because it would appear that the shutter was not firing properly.

That was my first thought when I opened this pdf.

I remember someone in the past saying this but can't remember who it was.

Addendum:

Also this table comparing Nikon DSLRs and some of their lesser known "attributes" & "pitfalls" .

http://www.astropix....ROP/Nikons.html

in progress.

There seem to be a few conflicts in sensor information on that list.

It says:

"Sensor - Who manfactured the sensor for Nikon. Most of this information comes from the Comparison of Nikon DSLR Cameras page on Widipedia, and List of all Nikon DSLR cameras and their sensor manufacturer/designer on Nikon Rumors which apparently got the information from Who produces sensors (matrix) for Nikon cameras? on the Russian Radozhiva Photoblog Arcadia Shapoval photography website."

Some of the sensor info seems to be wrong when I check it with other sources.

Just saying, and nothing against this topic.

I did say interesting - which doesn't infer accurate. As with most lists & charts related to photographic equipment on the internet, they should be treated as "guidelines" not "gospel" unless there is strong supporting evidence. I believe the author of that chart was asking for references, although he hadn't published any at that time. You should contact him with your findings.