UltravioletPhotography

Will this be enough? An IR blocking filter.

Andrea B.

I found this at Edmund Optics: 675 OD4 Shortpass Filter

Here is its curve: Curve PDF

The curve does not show below 350nm, so I'd have to ask about that. Although one sort of assumes that shortpass means shortpass.

QUESTION: Is blocking IR to 1000nm enough for successful UV imaging if this shortpass filter were to be used over any of our UV-pass glass?

Thanks for any comments.

There are a number of other cuts besides 675nm, but that one seemed to have the most IR blocking range.

Andrea, my picture the other day of that graffiti was with a filter that blocks to 1000nm. I don't know what the rolloff for that one was, but quite a lot of light gets recorded between 1000nm and 1100nm. I think 1100nm is probably the true cutoff for silicon so you'd better block out to that.
It is not clear from this graph if the blocking extends far below 1 micron. I suspect it does not terminate there. I have taken IR photos easily with filters such as the Rocolax-1K (~1 micron longpass. ) So the answer to the question is, in the abstract, no.

I have been intrigued by these filter coatings for quite some time as well. Shame they are so thick, rather needless given a fused silica substrate.

I always thought it would be cool to see the transmittance of a filter with the coatings from the 400nm, 500nm, 600nm stacked onto one ~1mm thick fused silica substrate.

Beyond ~1100 nm silicon becomes transparent so there is not much to work with north of 1 micron but some of the long pass filters out there do not have extremely sharp cutoff.

It looks like that if I want to have an IR blocker from 690 - 1100, then I'll have to get something made specially. :( :wacko: :blink:

Why is it so hard to find good IR blockers?

John, have you looked at Edmund Optics OD4 UV bandpass filters? The have some really cool ones. Pricey of course.

Andrea, a whole lot of stuff is transparent to IR, so that may be one reason? It's even been looked into for airport inspections. I have had great fun using the 1000nm filter with berries, to look inside:

post-94-0-18139500-1454471580.jpg

(Chokeweed berry, no-name 1000nm filter, Nikon Coolpix 995, unknown and long forgotten exposure settings. Lighting was by incandescent flashlight.)

Visible (same camera, automatic wb, same light)

post-94-0-51598600-1454471847.jpg