UltravioletPhotography

White balance lens cap - any good for UV?

lost cat

Has anyone had success getting good white balance in the UV using a white balance lens cap? I've read a few positive reviews on these for visible imaging, not so much for UV. The prices also range from a few bucks to about $100.

Sometimes you get what you pay for but in some cases - speaker wires come to mind here - a $2 generic wire performs just as well as a $2000 brand name wire. Will a cheap WB cap do the job well enough, is it worth spending the full Monty, or are external WB options the way to go?

UV and visible can be very different animals. There is no reason to believe that anything appearing 'white' to the human eye also will be UV-'white' or UV-'grey' (ie. reflecting equally all wavelengths). It might happen, or more commonly, not.

Use a piece of white Teflon material PTFE. It will do well as a starting point for UV w/b.

UV and visible can be very different animals. There is no reason to believe that anything appearing 'white' to the human eye also will be UV-'white' or UV-'grey' (ie. reflecting equally all wavelengths). It might happen, or more commonly, not.

Use a piece of white Teflon material PTFE. It will do well as a starting point for UV w/b.

That's been my strategy so far.

My thinking is a white balance lens cap may be better since it covers the entire field of view and - I'm guessing - is less likely to "blowout" as I find PFTE sheets tend to do.

You can get a ptfe filter for this kind of WB effort.

1. Here is one such example: http://www.ebay.com/...HsAAOSwl8NVX5fU

2. Our member John Dowdy once had some of these also, but I don't know what is current with him. So PM him to ask.

I cannot say how they perform from my own personal experience because Nikon cameras will not perform a full in-camera WB through a UV filter due to some restriction of the software somewhere. So perhaps someone else will let us know if this kind of item works well.

If you have access to a WB lens cap, you could test it against some known standard to see if it shows a color difference, e.g. photograph it against some target such as PTFE or fresh snow or whatever and see, after independently white-balancing the target area, if the light transmitted through the cap is rendered as neutral grey (pass) or colored (fail.)
My DIY WB lens cap works nicely on my Lumix G3, here is a photo of it. The virgin PTFE is thick enough that the in camera WB doesn't give a "scene to bright" error message when pointed straight at the sun, although it will with a flash when I am to close. Usually when I WB with the PTFE lens cap and then take a photo of a spectralon reference and open the raw in PN the spectralon is usually within 1-3 degrees on the WB click on the spectralon.
I have been using a virgin 3mm thick PTFE disc set in a 52mm threaded ring. It can double as a lens cap and is easy to keep around. I sometimes include these with filter orders.