UltravioletPhotography

Ebay Converter: Digital Landscapes (eeassa)

Andrea B.

AKA "eeassa"

We have now had the 3rd report of problems with a conversion from this Ebay seller. Apparently Eeassa fixes the errors, but in my opinion they should not happen in the first place.

Also there is the rather hysterical undertone of the Ebay ads which alway makes my "beware" sensor activate.

The bolding is mine and may differ from the ad.

Example from the Ad: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c5c6be006

The internal IR hot filter has been removed and replaced with a filter made Spectosil 2000 Fused Silica which will pass UV from 170nm all the way to IR frequencies over 2000nm. This material is superior in all aspects to Schott WG280 or Quartz plate glass which passes UV from 280nm. I am the only service offering this superior product for full spectrum conversions. The result is what you see in the first 2 pictures in my listing. The first is with the camera's WB set on green grass and the second is with the camera set for AWB. This camera is the preferred conversion for astrophotography.

My response:

• There seems to be a failure to mention that our digital cameras cannot record from 170mm all the way to 2000mm. Even with help from artificial illumination we can probably only record from around 300nm to 1200nm.
  • Two photographs are shown in the ad are almost pure Infrared because as we all know, full spec cameras without extra filtration aren't going to record any UV.
  • There are other converters who offer Spectrosil.

Example from the Ad (from same link): I have been in the camera conversion business for years. There are no surprises when you open up that box. I take good quality photographs of everything for your peace of mind. I have over 30 years experience behind a camera and I know what photographers want. I also have 14 years on eBay with 100% feedback so I know how to make sure buyers stay happy. All conversions are carried out on a Class 100 Clean Bench to eliminate sensor contamination. I use the highest quality custom made German Schott optical glass filters. Beware of cut rate eBay sellers who use 'German quality’ (Chinese) glass, acrylic, plastic or polyester sheet filters for their conversions! Do you want that in your camera? Do they guarantee f/1.8 sharpness in their DSLR conversions? Ask them! I also offer unlimited technical support and free sensor wet cleaning should this camera ever require it.

My Response:

• Two of our reports are about excess dust. Big-particled in one of them. This does not happen with an expensive 'Class 100 clean bench'. Apparently the seller is aware that dust might be a problem in his conversions because he pre-emptively offers 'free sensor wet cleaning'.
  • Schott glass is not "custom made".
  • Guaranteed f/1.8 sharpness? What does that even mean?
  • Scare tactics - beware of other Ebay sellers.

Example from the Ad: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c603232d6

Other services claiming full spectrum do not offer optics that image in the UV spectrum AT ALL. Do NOT buy a Full Spectrum camera with an AR (antirelective) coated filter. It REFLECTS UV! My cameras are the highest performing solution money can buy. Period.

My Response:

• More scare tactics. AR coatings do not automatically reflect UV. Depends on the coating.
  • The highest performing solution? What does that even mean?

I'm just sayin'............

This is private communication.

One is currently under investigation. I will report eventually if appropriate. The other is a dust complaint, under sensor, conversion redone to satisfaction.

To be fair, dust complaints can happen even with established online conversion retailers. The good ones will even tell you this can happen.

I don't have any stake in this except to say "Buyer Beware" when I see ads which may mislead buyers.

We at UVP have no affiliation whatsoever with any kind with any conversion shop either online or on Ebay.

I added a remark, Andy.

Repeat:

To be fair, dust complaints can happen even with established online conversion retailers. The good ones will even tell you this can happen.

Yeah. Honestly I'm not dissatisfied. It WAS dusty, but none of the dust was behind the sensor and it seems to have come off all right. I can still see some tiny (3 pixel-ish) particles at F/22, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect any sensor to be completely clean. At 3.3 microns/pixel, a 3 pixel dust bunny is 10 microns diameter. And my bedroom is not a cleanroom (pun deliberate).