UltravioletPhotography

Ebay Converter: Image Laboratory (image-laboratory)

Andrea B.

An Ebay seller "image-laboratory" offers camera conversions. Some of the ads seem to be misleading because examples of UV photos are presented which use dual-band filters like the Hoya U330, U340, U360. No mention is made in most of the photos that these are really dual-band filters. I see one photo with a label U330 as "UV+IR". In one add a "UV+IR" conversion is offered using 340 or 360 but in truth that is really an IR conversion unless an additional blocking filter is used.

Also, no mention is made of a clean room conversion.

Should I write to the guy again and suggest he provide proper labeling on the photos and offer BG filters to block the IR leaks?

http://www.ebay.com/...I0AAOxy4YdTRLZi

Actually, the UV+IR conversion is rather interesting to me. It is rather an intriguing idea. I would have mentioned in an ad that that adding a BG filter to your lens would give you UV photo and adding a UV blocker to your lens would give you an IR shot. I wonder how hard it is to cut down a 340 or a 360?? I could pry open my long-suffering D300 yet-once-again and try this.

OK, I wrote the guy and said that a dual band conversion with Hoya U-330/340/360 would, in practice, only record IR due to the 3% UV in sunlight versus the %54 IR.

OK, I wrote the guy and said that a dual band conversion with Hoya U-330/340/360 would, in practice, only record IR due to the 3% UV in sunlight versus the %54 IR.

The example for "UV only" on his eBay page very clearly is IR *only* the vegetation and in particular the trees come out white :D

I wonder how hard it is to cut down a 340 or a 360?? I could pry open my long-suffering D300 yet-once-again and try this.

Keep in mind that the surface of an internal filter is more critical than that of external filters.