UltravioletPhotography

HTML editor?

Andrea B.

I need a good HTML editor in order to better edit the Lens Sticky which I had to convert to HTML a while back in order to place the lens info into well-formatted tables.

Anyone know of something useful?

I'm so long out of the Tech job now that I no longer keep up with the latest development apps.

I need a good HTML editor in order to better edit the Lens Sticky which I had to convert to HTML a while back in order to place the lens info into well-formatted tables.

Anyone know of something useful?

I'm so long out of the Tech job now that I no longer keep up with the latest development apps.

Why not just create the HTML tables, via a simple text-editor? That's what I do, and have always done.

EDIT: However, creating tables via a text editor can be more time consuming, so perhaps you're simply just trying to shave off some time. Hehe. (I can relate to that.)

Igor, really I wouldn't ask if I didn't really need a good HTML editor. As a former developer, I feel that good tools are important. You don't hack html in text. You just don't. For one thing you need the ability to easily find missing close tags. Doesn't happen in text.

You want to see why I need the HTML editor?

Here is a tiny portion of what the Lens Sticky looks like when I open it up for edit. This cannot be easily untangled in a text editor. And even if it were to be untangled in a text editor, it will not hold when reposted.

This may have some bbcode worked in. Hate this mess. But have to deal.

The UV Sticky #2: UV-Capable Lenses

by Andrea G. Blum for UltravioletPhotography

Last Update: 23 July 2015

Note from Editor:

This Sticky began as a joint effort by the members of various forums who enjoy UV/IR photography. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, comments, proofreading, lists, links, measurements, experiments and all round good fellowship.

Please PM Andrea B. onUltravioletPhotography with any corrections, additions or suggestions. Or write to rudbeckia ultravioletphotography com.

Abbreviations:

• IR = infrared
  • UV = ultraviolet
  • UVIR = ultraviolet and/or infrared
[ultravioletPhotography.com does not endorse any specific products as a website. We simply offer reports, reviews and gear lists for your further investigation. Any opinions in such reports/reviews/lists belong solely to the poster writing them. UltravioletPhotography.com as a website receives no compensation or income from any source.]

UV-Capable Lenses

There's no predicting whether a given lens is UV-capable if it was not specifically designed for UV shooting. With a very long exposure an ordinary lens can often leak enough near-UV to produce an image, but it likely would not record the fine surface details that UV can reveal. What we can say generally about non-dedicated, UV-capable lenses is that they tend to have uncoated elements, little or no element cement, a small number of elements (3 or 4) and, ideally, at least one quartz or fluoride element, although that isn't often found. However, we must also say that there are quite a number of exceptions to this general rule. Do note that most UV-capable lenses have an axial chromatic aberration problem called 'focus shift' to deal with. Fortunately, some extremely experienced UV shooters have provided us with an extensive list of UV-capable lenses.

Bjørnian Rule of Thumb for UV-Capable Lenses

from Bjørn Rørslett

A decent UV-capable lens should be a maximum of 3 stops down overall compared to the Nikon 105/4.5 UV-Nikkor or the Coastal Optics 60/4.5 APO.

Measuring UV Transmission of a Lens

from Shane Elen

I asked member Shane Elen what was needed to accurately measure the UV transmission of a given lens. He wrote: Ideally you need a CCD spectrometer, or spectrophotometer (preferably in a dual beam configuration) with a monochromator, an integrating sphere, and a stable output UV-V-IR source. The integrating sphere helps ensure that the readings are independent of the incoming light ray angle. This will provide you with wavelength specific transmission response.

To informally test UV lens transmission, it is possible to collect a set of narrow UV bandpass filters, mount them in some kind of holder and estimate a lens UV transmission by taking a UV photo of the mounted filters. Although the idea has been used before, Steve Smeed was the first in recent years to implement mounted UV bandpass filters in his clever Sparticle Board. (I need a link.) Here is another example shown in an article by Enrico Savazzi: Filter Strip for Testing UV Lenses.

UV Focus Shift

Focus shift between the Ultraviolet & Visible wavebands in a lens is a form of axial chromatic aberration that occurs because shorter, higher frequency UV wavelengths focus at a different distance along the longitudinal axis of a typical lens than do longer, lower frequency Visible wavelengths.

Such wavelength-induced focus shift is a topic of particular interest in UV photography when using an external filter and a camera that has no Live View. First you must focus the lens in Visible light before mounting the dark UV-pass filter. After mounting the filter you might have to adjust your initial focus if the lens has not been designed to also bring the UV rays to the Visible plane of convergence. With a bit of trial and error you should be able to determine the proper correction at various apertures and note it for future reference.

UV focus shift is less of a worry with an internal UV filter because during conversion the auto-focus can be adjusted a bit to compensate for UV for most lenses at most apertures. Focus shift is not problem at all when using LIve View if you have sufficient UV illumination. Attaining sufficient illumination to use Live View for focusing in the UV case is not always easy.

Diffraction

In photography, diffraction is the interference of light waves with one another caused by their passage through a lens aperture. The narrower the aperture, the more the diffraction. The spreading light waves' interactions cause interference patterns around the Airy disk which is recorded on a digital sensor as a loss of sharpness in an image.

In UVIR photography, a key fact to note is that longer IR wavelengths spread more at a given aperture than shorter Visible or UV wavelengths. Hence IR shots are more prone to the effects of diffraction and UV shots less so. Thus, for example, if you make a Visible light photo with a sensor & lens combo that begins to show diffraction blur past f/8, then you might have to open up your lens to f/5.6 (or larger) to shoot a sharp IR version of the same photo. On the UV side, you might be able to stop down to f/11 (or smaller) and still stay sharp. Opening up in IR to reduce diffraction must be balanced against the need for stopped-down depth of field. Some diffraction can be compensated for in the editor by various sharpening tools.

About the UV Lens List

For a lens to be on our UV Lens List, it must have at least one member or contributer who has either used it or tested it to confirm that the lens is UV-capable in some portion of the UV bandwidth. Our lists are by no means exhaustive, so please experiment and let us know of your discoveries.

Please Note:

• UV-Capability ?

The amount of UV-capability of the lenses on this list varies.

We have tried to list lenses that reach at least 350nm, but not all lenses have been formally tested.

Investigate before purchase!

• Mount Type ?

Many lenses on this list may need modification of the lens mount and the use of focusing helicoids and/or bellows for use on your particular camera body.

Under such modification, the lens may not focus to infinity.

• UV Focus Shift ?

Most of the lenses listed below have some degree of the UV focus shift discussed above. Lenses without such focus shift are noted.

Consider converting a camera with Live View to avoid dealing with focus shift.

Contributors to the UV Lens List

• Alex H = Oleksandr Holovachov
  • annedi = Andrea Blum
  • anon = Anonymous
  • brianc1959 = Brian Caldwell
  • enricosavazzi = Enrico Savazzi
  • igoriginal = Igor Butorsky
  • infraultra = Steve Smeed
  • kds315 = Klaus Schmitt
  • nfoto = Bjørn Rørslett
  • overmywaders = Reed Curry
  • RKPhotog = Bob Kerr
  • Vivek = Vivek Iyer

Warning about Lens Scams

The original UV-Nikkor 105/4.5 has become a very high-priced collectible. Prices have skyrocketed to the $4000-5000(US) range, maybe more. The lens has been seen offered at a much lower price in several lens scams across the internet.

Do not fall for these scams! No one who is reputable will be selling the UV-Nikkor or any other rare UV-capable lens at a price under its current market value.

Enlarger Lenses for UV

An enlarger lens (EL) is used in a photographic enlarger for producing a print from a film negative. Some alternate photographic print processes require UV light to produce a contact print: cyanotype, platinum/palladium, gum, carbon, Kallitype and Van Dyke.

Most ELs therefore pass some ultraviolet light between 350nm-400nm. But note that there is no generally accepted range of UV transmission for ELs. The range will vary by brand and lens construction. Enlarger lenses also, of course, magnify and have a flat-field construction. So ELs can be very useful for UV macro work when reversed.

There are several enlarger lenses listed in the Lens Sticky, but it is not intended to be exhaustive. Use what is listed there for further explorations and

Yeah, I thought about that. I sorta hate to mess around on cPanel though unless I need to tweak templates, etc.

Besides it is always good to have something on the home deskLap.

I'm looking at Bluefish currently.

The Backstage client is much tidier than cPanel. But of course nobody prevents you getting a dedicated standalone HTML Editor. Still, any edits will have to be uploaded to the actual site in the end, so why not edit it directly?

I was being more sarcastic than anything, Andrea. ;)

And yes, I have used basic text editors to piece together entire web pages, from scratch. It can be done. No, it's not the most time-efficient way to doing it. But, there are also simple techniques used in text-based HTML coding to better divide the content into sections - be it creating indentations that nest into increasingly deeper indentations (and so on), paragraph separations, invisible tags with markers to describe each section, so as to identify errors (and make corrections) more easily. There's also nesting sections within sections (nests within nests), to organize text-based HTML coding even more neatly. It really is easy on the eyes ... and yes, easily hackable.

So, simply slapping together (or spitting out) one giant, run-on HTML sentence for an entire webpage is certainly the sloppier way to doing things. I've even seen "professional" web developers practice undisciplined HTML text coding (when examining source code of various sites.)

I get what you're saying, Andrea, but there should be room for friendly banter, too. :)

It's just that web developers have been using text-based HTML editing for years, long before these advanced editors came along. And they got by just fine, by practicing disciplined and well-organized mark-up by hand, and line by line.

I have yet to use an automated editor, myself, all these years of writing mark-up. Not that I am against it, or anything. I just never got around to doing it that way. Maybe one day, I will have to ... for similar reasons as yourself (seeing as how busy you are, on so many fronts at the same time.)

I am curious as to how far the automated / HTML-generating tech has advanced these days, of course.

I was being more sarcastic than anything, Andrea. ;)

And yes, I have used basic text editors to piece together entire web pages, from scratch. It can be done. No, it's not the most time-efficient way to doing it. But, there are also simple techniques used in text-based HTML coding to better divide the content into sections - be it creating indentations that nest into increasingly deeper indentations (and so on), paragraph separations, invisible tags with markers to describe each section, so as to identify errors (and make corrections) more easily. There's also nesting sections with sections, to organize text-based HTML coding even more neatly. It really is easy on the eyes.

So, simply slapping together (or spitting out) one giant, run-on HTML sentence for an entire webpage is certainly the sloppier way to doing things. I've even seen "professional" web developers practice undisciplined HTML text coding.

I get what you're seeing, Andrea, but there should be room for friendly banter, too. :)

It's just that web developers have been using text-based HTML editing for years, long before these advanced editors came along. And they got by just fine, by practicing disciplined mark-up.

I have yet to use an automated editor, myself, all these years of writing mark-up. Not that I am against it. I just never got around to doing it that way.

Igor, you are workin' on my very last nerve today. Sarcasm is not what any of us needs.

**I** did not produce that long run-on mess. That is what our forum software produces.

And the reason why I need a good HTML editor in order to add more lenses to the Sticky.

Please stop baiting me.

Sincere apologies. Didn't mean to irritate you at all. Honestly. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Thanks.

(I also wasn't aware that forum software does this to HTML. I wonder why that is? In this day and age??? I'm frankly shocked. Wow.)

Forum software is a conundrum.

We can safely conclude that Andrea really really would appreciate the assistance of a good, dedicated HTML Editor. Let that be the final word here.

Don't know if it is relevant but, my friend who is a web designer uses Adobe Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative Suite.

I will ask her if she has any specific recommendations.

Thanks, John.

I do not subscribe to Adobe currently. So I'm looking for something freestanding, non-Cloud.

I downloaded Bluefish for a trial. It seems like it might work out ok. But even this nice developer app is balking at the long strings which the forum software causes. What a horrible frustrating mess!

Andrea, perhaps for Ultraviolet UltraEdit might be an option B) :

This is how your sample looks like (still a mess)

(in UE I clicked on <View> and toggled word wrap and also under view , I choose View as (Highlight) HTML (or XML)):

post-21-0-73076100-1452332818.jpg

Andrea, perhaps for Ultraviolet UltraEdit might be an option B) :

This is how your sample looks like (still a mess)

(in UE I clicked on <View> and toggled word wrap and also under view , I choose View as (Highlight) HTML (or XML)):

post-21-0-73076100-1452332818.jpg

The Notepad++ 6.7.4 "Je suis Charlie" edition employs the same functions. (It highlights or bold-faces all hypertext-markup tags.) It even underlines (or assigns a different color) to segments of text where the markup is incomplete or broken, and/or is not properly stated with its mandatory matching closing tag.

That's the text editor I use, these days, for all of my web editing.

https://notepad-plus...ie-edition.html

(This time, I'm really trying to help, now that I fully understand what your situation is, Andrea. So please don't kill me. Hehe.)

I gave up on the code editors and hauled the file into ksh on the mac terminal so's I could run it thru an awk/sed/ksh hack to force the tags back onto separate lines using a bunch of newline subs and other stuff. Getting closer to the bare metal is sometimes a good strategy! Still some bits to clean up. But now I can return the file to one of the code editors and be able to see the file structure again - like where the Lens Tables are.

Going forward I'll have to maintain a well-formatted flatfile for future editing given the compression quirk of the forum software, but that really isn't a problem.

So now we have some UV light at the end of that tunnel hallelujah.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions all of which have been well-noted for future reference. "-)

enricosavazzi

There should be an evaluation version on Dreamweaver available on the Adobe web site. I find Dreamweaver a good combination of WYSIWYG editor and HTML source code editor.

If you prefer to work "closer" to HTML but you need first to reformat the spaghetti code in your example into something understandable, the Microsoft Visual Studio editor can easily do that. The community edition is free. Of course it comes with a ton of other capabilities you don't need, but for the price one cannot really complain.

Most programmer's IDEs can do what you need with HTML source code (but not WYSIWYG), including Intellij Idea and Netbeans. Forget about Eclipse though - too fussy to set up, you need to become an Eclipse laureate in order to make it do simple tasks.