UV and Your Eyes :: UV Safety Reference

UV Lighting
42 replies to this topic

#41 Pylon

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 00:28

View PostAndrea B., on 06 November 2015 - 16:19, said:

So, you have a little under 2 minutes of time to have unprotected UV-light with your Blak-Ray B-100 lamp
at a distance of 25 cm (10") within an 8-hour day.

So this is for both skin and eyes? I suppose these organizations didn't really specify/separate exposure recommendations for eyes and skin, respectively.

I found this product for head/face protection: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
One could wear this to protect against the ambient reflections one gets exposed to when working with UV light sources. Will definitely come in handy, especially when more powerful UV torches come out (ones that are 10x more powerful than the MTE 301). I would think the "UPF" protection rating means that it is reducing 98% of sunlight UV radiation, I wonder if that 98% blocking rating is true for more powerful UV radiation sources though.

I asked if it protects against UV-A, B, and C, and LEAGY responded saying that it did, however I am not going to take their word about it being able to protect against UV-C to an adequate level.

Edited by Pylon, 30 November 2015 - 00:39.

#42 enricosavazzi

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 09:06

I am somewhat skeptic about woven cloth being used as a UV screen, at least if it is meant to cut out as much UV as possible. Cloth can be stretched, and when stretched one can usually see rather well through the holes between threads, certainly more than the 2% said not to be blocked (indirectly, by specifying 98% absorption). Wet or moist cloth can also have very different UV transmission than dry.

I have a few "UV-proof" long-sleeve shirts from Adidas that worked for me to prevent sunburn during a trip to Australia last year, but if I put a single layer of the cloth in front of my eyes I can see through the threads without problems, even without stretching the cloth. So a significant amount of light goes straight through. Blocking 90-95% of radiation is good enough to prevent sunburn in normal conditions.

These clothing items may be adequate enough for this purpose, but not against much stronger artificial UV sources or against UV-C sources. I would try to use a truly UV opaque flexible film (not a cloth, although a continuous film laid onto a woven substrate would work) for protection, with well-designed light traps for the parts meant to provide ventilation.
-- Enrico Savazzi

#43 Pylon

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 23:06

http://www.uvm.edu/s...iolet-radiation