UltravioletPhotography

small leaf petal with glowing green trichomes (hairs)

hmmm, interesting....

I'm assuming from the gif that this plant is outdoors? So the non-uniform patches of yellow-green fluorescence might be from animal urine. Don't want to gross you out or anything, but that's likely what it is. ;) :)

Anyway, good find on your part.

The purplish patches could be from violet light leakage or from structural colouration (iridescence) caused by the leaf structure. Hard to say on this one.

I can't figure out what this hairy-leaved plant is!!

I'm assuming from the gif that this plant is outdoors? So the non-uniform patches of yellow-green fluorescence might be from animal urine. Don't want to gross you out or anything, but that's likely what it is. ;) :)

Yes it was outdoors, if you are talking about the brighter yellow-green-whitish patches that are glowing throughout the frame, those were actually flowers that were coming out of the plant/bush/shrub, most of them were kinda shriveled up, plus they are difficult to identify looking at a small 2D gif.

The purplish patches could be from violet light leakage or from structural colouration (iridescence) caused by the leaf structure. Hard to say on this one.

That is interesting. I will have to do more tests.

No, I meant the leaves not the flowers. Can't figure out why some leaves would fluoresce and others not? But there are always surprises with fluorescence. "-)

If you read the Shiny Metal Test (linked elsewhere in response to one of your posts), that will help determine whether you have some violet or blue leakage from your UV-LED. Most do leak a bit of visible violet or violet-blue.

Loved your gif flip !! What did you use for that?

Loved your gif flip !! What did you use for that?

Adobe Photoshop (Window -> Timeline (or Animation). layers. File -> Save for Web)

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen clear yellow-green UVIFL on the very young stems of certain types of rhododendron. Older leaves didn't have it. I don't think it's urine - rather some natural thing to do with age.

I (very) vaguely remember that it had something to do with a certain layer on said leaf that changes as it is exposed to photosynthesis... but maybe I'm confusing it with something else.

Johan - hello !!

Thank you for this observation.

It was an interesting find that Evan made. It seemed somewhat random in the foto so I had thought that it was not a natural thing, but it's difficult to say. We can probably Google around and find some reference to this somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...