UltravioletPhotography

Xenon lamps

rfcurry

Yes, They are actually mercury HID, with a dash of xenon. The amount of UV is miniscule compared to the total output, ie like the Sun, & they are high in IR & very hot to run.

The MTE U301 365nm flashlight, is the most efficient & effective UV source.

Col

Most effective?

I just got mine yesterday as the postmaster had deemed it not worthy to deliver, I had to go get it.

I was dumb and didn't realize there were no batteries. Good ole bankrupt Radio Shack saved me with both the charger and batteries.

Tried it out last night--wow that is a cool light. Put my baader u on the front and the light performs great. Nice even center light--no dark spots or weirdness.

I will do a test on a small orchid comparing it to a Blak-Ray. I will also test it on the UV/IR meter as well

Col, do you what size threads are on the end after you take the ring off the end? I read somewhere recently that you figured something out with a filter fitting in those threads.

Does anyone use these lights to help with regular UV shots during the day or do they not really work for that (leave spots or something)

-D

Hi Damon

Glad you have got the MTE U301 flashlight.

The glass is 37mm diameter & soon the eBay seller uviroptics will have some U340 filters available to fit the MTE U301's.

Col

I find some of the 24W HID bicycle headlights intriguing, mainly due to the portability of small power supply typically used.

There are actual Xe-arc bulbs that small but the terms "Xenon" and "HID" seem to be used quite loosely in the cycle market.