UltravioletPhotography

Brassica rapa var. chinensis [Tatsoi]

Blum, A.G. (2013) Brassica rapa var. chinensis L. (Brassicaceae) Tatsoi. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...inensis-tatsoi/

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

08 May 2009

Cultivar in home garden

Synonyms:

• Broadbeaked Mustard
  • Spinach Mustard
  • Brassica narinosa L.H. Bailey
  • Brassica rapa L. subsp. narinosa (L.H.Bailey) Hanelt

Comment:

Tatsoi, a kind of Chinese cabbage, is a very tasty green used either raw or cooked.

The tatsoi flower has a typical mustard flower appearance in Visible light. In UV each petal has a UV-black blotch on the proximal end and dark veins on both sides. The carpel and stamens are both UV-black. The leaves are UV-black.

In this photo I have placed a Tatsoi flower on one of the leaves.

Reference:

1. Flora of China Online (2013) Brassica rapa var. chinensis (Linnaeus) , vol. 8. FoC, Science Press, Beijing & St. Louis. http://www.efloras.o...on_id=241000007

Equipment [Nikon D200-broadband + Coastal Optics 60mm f/4.0 UV-Vis-IR]

Visible Light [f/4 for 1/125" @ ISO 100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

tatSoiVis050809wf_29159origPNres.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/11 for 6" @ ISO 100 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

tatSoiUV050809wf_29162origPNres.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [crop from preceding photo]

tatSoiUV050809wf_29162origPNpf2res.jpg

• 8 months later...

"Cultivar in home garden" -- a bit confused since I thought cultivars are posted separately....but this is under wildflowers.

It would be nice to see all plants listed together by families here, but with cultivars flagged or something. that way we can find all plants in the same family/genus together...

You are correct - this should be in cultivars.

I have planned to place links in the wildflower section to point to cultivated varieties.

A couple of them have got done, but seems like I'm always behind schedule on these things.

Got this one moved today !! Left a Link in Brassicaceae/Brassica to here.
Thank you, Andrea! I still do not understand the logic of separating the two. I understand cultivar might be in limbo in terms of their species....but the current linking is nice too! it is a lot of work for you two though.
this is almost the same as what I saw for one Chinese cabbage variety in my garden...Interesting to see it has a lot of variations depending on a variety/cultivar.