UltravioletPhotography

Doronicum columnae or orientale (probably)

Was growing in our garden so I figured I might as well.

Visible:

post-350-0-42173200-1620998285.jpg

fluorescent blacklight:

post-350-0-90393400-1620998291.jpg

392nm LED:

post-350-0-01056200-1620998302.jpg

All of those have been color balanced to taste so I can't guarantee scientific accuracy. Hope you enjoy none the less.

That looks like a good candidate flower for UV induced fluorescence if you haven't moved it. Shine your 392nm LED on ot and place a UV blocking filter on your camera or use a regular camera.

The pollen might light up nicely.

That looks like a good candidate flower for UV induced fluorescence if you haven't moved it. Shine your 392nm LED on ot and place a UV blocking filter on your camera or use a regular camera.

The pollen might light up nicely.

Thanks for the recommendation, the flower however is now shriveled up and discarded, I think I tried UVIVF with it when I was working with it and it surprisingly wasn't that interesting. As for the 392nm LED, I actually own a few better 365nm LEDs which I use for UVIVF, I usually filter their output with either a ZB2 or a ZWB2. Works way better. But thanks for the tip anyway.

Andy Perrin
No, it’s not really a tip, for UVIVF the camera must be filtered or you see a mix of the fluorescence and the reflected UV. Filtering just the torch is not sufficient (if the purpose is to photograph just fluorescence).

Very interesting. It does appear to be a Doronicum, but often there is no way to know with garden flowers exactly what species it is.

I'd like to know about the camera, lens and filter please? And what is the blacklight, a bulb or a torch??

Editor's Note: I am always looking for contributions to the botanical section in either the wildflower section or the cultivar section. There is a required way of posting in the botanical area, but I will always help out on that. It is not difficult. :smile:

No, it’s not really a tip, for UVIVF the camera must be filtered or you see a mix of the fluorescence and the reflected UV. Filtering just the torch is not sufficient (if the purpose is to photograph just fluorescence).

I use a vintage light yellow filter PANCHROMAR OBJEKTIVVORSÄTZE, problem is that is fluoresces quite strongly so it sometimes gives a very strong orange color cast.

Very interesting. It does appear to be a Doronicum, but often there is no way to know with garden flowers exactly what species it is.

I'd like to know about the camera, lens and filter please? And what is the blacklight, a bulb or a torch??

Editor's Note: I am always looking for contributions to the botanical section in either the wildflower section or the cultivar section. There is a required way of posting in the botanical area, but I will always help out on that. It is not difficult. :smile:

The camera is a Canon EOS 1100D, I bought it off of eBay so I don't know the details of the conversion. The lights used were BeamZ fluorescent UV Lamp 25W and an Omnilux 230V JDR E27 18 LED UV 1W for the 392nm. For filters I think I used Tangsinuo ZB2 to get rid of most visible light and either a QB29 or QB39 to filter out the little red light a fluorescent blacklight will emit. Lens was the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8. I use it not for it's UV transmittance but simply because it's plenty sharp and in a controlled environment where there's no wind, long exposures aren't much of an issue.

Edit: all of the gear I generally use is listed on my profile also.

Thanks F.C.

We usually try to list camera + lens + lighting + filter in a topic so that everyone understands how these images were made. It adds some depth and background to understanding your posted images. :lol: Not a requirement though.

Like, when I am looking at the third image, I'm not sure whether I am seeing a UV image or a UV+Blue+Green image or what ?

Example:

Canon 1100D + Canon 50/1.8 EF + 392nm UV-LED + XYZ UV-Pass Filter

....or something similar.

Andy Perrin
Yeah, I mean, sometimes it's not necessary, but adding context like that is really helpful, and if you don't put it, this forum being what it is, people are likely to ask you ANYway! :grin: