UltravioletPhotography

Focus Stacked UVF with Nikon Z7

Nikon UK have kindly lent me a Z7 II for a couple of weeks to help with a new book I am writing. I thought I would try out it's Focus Shift mode (focus stacking) with a UVF image of a carnivorous plant (Nepenthes lowii x N.ventricosa). Being a confirmed DSLR user it has taken me some time to get to grips with the viewfinder and other electronic features of the camera, most of which I have turned off!

The sequence was put together in Photoshop. The pitcher is approx. 3cm in width.

The uneven lighting on the UVF image is due to the fact that you can't light paint a focus stacked image, so the torches were held in clamps. I held my breath during the sequence!

Technical specs:

Visible light: Nikon Z7II with 105mm micro Nikkor. Studio flash, f/16, 200ISO

UVF: camera/lens as above. Two Convoy S2+ UV torches. 10 images, each 1 second @ f/5.6

post-47-0-65789400-1620131897.jpg

dabateman

That image is truly beautiful. The glowing rings are excellent.

I hope Nikon releases firmware to actually use all the horsepower inside the new mk2 camera's. Not having in-camera focus stacking or high resolution shot mode or even just a low resolution shift mode to get true color at all four positions is a waste of the IBIS and the dual processors.

I want a z5 camera. but not until it can match the features of an Olympus camera.

Nikon does have a mode in the multishot that I think simulates the Olympus live composite (light painting feature). Where only newly illuminated areas are added in the multi shot. You're just limited to 9 or 10 frames with the Nikon, where its limitless for Olympus.

Thanks all. It sure beats doing it manually in the dark!

Being a newcomer to mirrorless cameras I don't really understand the "multishot" mode which da bateman mentions. It is not in the manual.

Andy Perrin

It changes the focus for you automatically? That’s very cool.

I like the photos, which are amazingly sharp.

dabateman

Adrian,

English reference manual about 14.2Mb, on page 310 of 852. Its multiple exposure mode on the camera and then overlay mode in multiple exposure mode to set if only new bright or dark pixels.

[Add]: The exposures are overlaid without

modification; gain is not adjusted.

• [Lighten]: The camera compares the pixels in each

exposure and uses only the brightest.

• [Darken]: The camera compares the pixels in each

exposure and uses only the darkest.