UltravioletPhotography

Novoflex 600mm f/8 Noflexar

ulf

Last Update: 03 April 2021

Finalized: Work in progress.

Novoflex 600mm f/8 Noflexar

Manufacturer: Novoflex. The achromat was computed and produced by Staeble Optik in Schongau.

Lens Label: ( NOVOFLEX ) NOFLEXAR 1:8 f=600mm <serial number>

Currently manufactured: No

Lens type: Manual focus, Extreme tele lens, true long focal design

Design: Achromat, 2 elements in 1 group

Focal length: 600 mm

Aperture range: f/8 – f/32, Manual, 24 blades

Sensor format/coverage: up to 24 mm x 36 mm

Mount*: via a focussing bellows, BAL-U, with a suitable lens mount adapter part.

Helicoid: No, Focussing with a bellow at the rear of the lens combined with the fast focus grip if used with the Schnellschuss system.

Flange Focus distance: M42/45.46 mm,

Front filter: 77 mm x 0.75 mm (possibly there are lenses with a 75 mm x 0.75 mm thread too, as both has been seen for the 400 mm lens)

Introduction year: ca mid 1960

S/N of test object: 66228

* There are mount adapters for many different camera types.

Alternatively:

There are rigid spacer tubes instead of the bellows, also for different cameras.

However they give a very bad minimum focus distance.

A document showing different configurations and options for Novoflex lenses present when the document was written:

https://www.pacificr...00070/00070.pdf

There are more modern adapters for bellows and Schnellschuss-lenses, than listed in the document, including the CANA-AF for Canon EOS

Image of test object:

The long lens head in the center of the bottom row, marked "f = 600 mm":

post-150-0-34601700-1545914439.jpg

As you can see from the lower lens here, the whole contraption gets very long at a close up setting:

post-150-0-94854000-1545747234.jpg

More information about these lenses can be found here:

https://www.ultravio...dpost__p__25241

Versions compatibility:

The Lens-heads of this generation share the mounting thread dimension and are interchangeable between the older Type-B and next generation Type-C, of Schnellschuss-lenses.

The last generation, the Type-D of Schnellschuss-lenses have a special new type of bayonet mount for the lens heads.

Transmittance Summary

Definitions of the parameters below

• Range: The NOFLEXAR 1:8 f=600mm transmits 1-92% in an increasing slope from 317nm to 400nm.
  • TVISmax (%) = 96%
  • T400nm (%) = 92%
  • T365nm (%) = 87%
    This high percentage is an indicator for quite short exposure time under typical UV-pass filtration peaking around 360 nm or when using 365 nm UV-LED illumination.
  • λUV HMvis(nm) = 336nm
  • λUV HM400(nm) = 335nm
  • λUV Zero(nm) = 317nm
  • These three values indicate that the lens is working even for some upper UV-B photography with some filters and a few for this, suitable cameras.

Spectral Transmission Graphs

UV-NIR, Novoflex NOFLEXAR 1:8 f=600mm

post-150-0-71670200-1618305874.png

The transmission measurement accuracy into the end of NIR range is less good due to limitations in the light source.

UV, Novoflex NOFLEXAR 1:8 f=600mm

post-150-0-73206100-1618305885.png

UV-Log, Novoflex NOFLEXAR 1:8 f=600mm

post-150-0-81350200-1618305896.png

Numerical Spectra Data available: Yes

Filters and how to use them on this lens:

The front filter thread is an unusual 75 mm standard filter thread.

It is also possible to use rear mounted filters, either in lens mount adapters for mirrorless cameras like Sony A-series etc, or placed directly in the camera.

An alternative, is to putty-mount a filter directly inside the lens. There are several flat surfaces that likely would work to mount a filter or a step ring fitting the filter.

Handling and focussing:

Difficult due to the long focal length.

A stable tripod, or two, are needed to support the lens.

Flare and sun-stars:

TBD

Sharpness:

High for the age of the lens.

Lens distortion:

TBD

Chromatic Aberration in UV:

Yes, both axial and lateral. Improves by stopping down and can often be tolerable.

• 2 months later...

UV birding: now possible

Low-key joking but I wonder how possible would it actually be with this lens.

My 600 has a 77mm thread. The 400 does have the 75mm thread.

Interesting. I have to reverify the 75mm thread on all my tele Noflexar lens heads.

I think all mine are 75mm, as they all allow usage of the metal lens hood.

I have never used my Noflexar tele lenses with front mounted filters, as I made it possible to use internal or rear mounted filters.

Interesting. I have to reverify the 75mm thread on all my tele Noflexar lens heads.

I think all mine are 75mm, as they all allow usage of the metal lens hood.

I have never used my Noflexar tele lenses with front mounted filters, as I made it possible to use internal or rear mounted filters.

I was partly wrong!

Both of my old 600mm and 400mm Noflexars have a 77mm thread.

The exception is my slightly younger 400mm T-Noflexar and the really old 40cm FERNOBJEKTIV have a 75mm thread.

It seams like Novoflex has changed the front thread back and forth between 75mm and 77mm over the years.

I will update the info for the different lenses accordingly