UltravioletPhotography

[Tags] Discussion #3 Now Open. POLL included.

Andrea B.

Tag Questions  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Have you ever used a Tag to make a search?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you Tag your taggable topics?

• Always
    • Usually, but occasionally I forget.
    • Sometimes, but only for certain tags I like.
    • Never, tags are a pain.
  3. 3. Are Tags useful on a board index to find topics you like?

• Yes
    • Sometimes
    • No
  4. 4. Do we need both a Tag and a dedicated section with the same name? Example: People & Portraits section vs. Portrait tag.

• Yes. That Tag might be needed also outside the dedicated section.
    • Maybe, I'm not sure.
    • No. Why Tag a topic if it fits into a dedicated section?

Tags originally were meant to help in gear searches to find tests, experiments and discussions of lenses, cameras, filters and lighting because not all info can be gethered into the Gear Stickies in the Reference Section. As the number of topics grows on a forum, gear tags can bring up old gear topics which are still relevant.

Those gear tags below are in Green.

Over the years more tags have been added.

The newest tags are in Blue in the following list.

Current Tags

• Cameras
  • Conical Cells
  • Emulation - new
  • Film
  • Filters
  • Fluorescence
  • Infrared
  • Insect Vision
  • Lens
  • Lighting
  • LWIR
  • Multispectral
  • MWIR - new
  • Processing
  • Stereo - new
  • SWIR
  • TriColour - new
  • Video
  • White Balance

Proposed Tags under consideration

• Landscape
  • Macro
  • UV

Proposed Tags rejected

• Software: use the Processing tag
  • Health & Safety: such topics are Pinned
  • UV Reach: that information found in the Technical Lens Data section.

BTW, that poll is just to give me some general feedback, so let's not get into whether it is a scientific poll or not. You are free to make any and all comments in posts here if you think the poll questions are not properly worded. Just give me comments about tags and *not* about polls, OK?

I have always tagged a topic when posting. But never used a tag search before this whole discussion.

On my phone they are not easy to get to.

How are people using and seeing tags to do searches?

On my phone the only way I saw was to do a search in upper right. From the search results something with a Tag appears. Then click that tag from the search results and I see those tagged topics.

Currently with limited tag use that seem useful as just get Andy's posts within a IR tag click.

But if we use a tag like UV, wouldn't most of the website be tagged?

If you go to the Search Form, you will see that the 3rd box from the top is labeled Find Tags.

Enter a tag name (or names) into that box and it will bring up all topics having that tag.

The Search Form is accessed on the upper right by clicking the ampersand & icon.

Done the voting.

On the question "Do you Tag your taggable topics?" I used the "Sometimes ..." option, but it doesn't really reflect my case. I never used tags when starting a post - but that was really through ignorance. My intention is to tag all future posts, now that I have been educated. I will go through all my past posts and re-tag them - but only when the tag set is finalised (and Macro is included!) because it's a bit of a pain to keep re-doing this.

Re-posting a post I posted here:

We are not just a UV site although UVP started as UV-only (as far as I know) and the entire Infrared section is informal, so not as important as UV I guess. But we really are InvisiblePhotography.com now.

Can we make "composite" tags? We already have spectral tags (such as Infrared, SWIR, etc.), but we lack a UV tag. It sounds trivial to have a UV tag here, but this is my idea:

To have "UV fauna" we could use "UV" and "fauna". To have IR fauna, we could use "IR" and "fauna", and so on. So we could use a spectral tag combined with a "subject" tag. Does this sound good to you?

I always tag my posts if I can find an appropriate tag. Sometimes I didn't tag them because I didn't know which tag(s) to put there.

As for the first question, I answered "yes", but I actually very rarely did it.

Can we make "composite" tags?

Is that any different to just adding two or more tags, which you can do now? (I know we don't have a UV tag.)

Is that any different to just adding two or more tags, which you can do now? (I know we don't have a UV tag.)

It is the same thing. We now have pure spectral tags (except UV) and pure subject tags.

As of UV, we may divide it into UVA, UVB and UVC if this doesn't generate too much confusion. Or keep a general UV tag plus the specific UV bands, similarly to what we have for the infrared spectrum, with a general Infrared tag and specific IR bands like SWIR, MWIR and LWIR (should we add a NIR tag?). I would like having everything "symmetrical" as we are not a UV-only site anymore.

I would like having everything "symmetrical" as we are not a UV-only site anymore.

Stefano you better hurry up with some microwave band imaging than, as Deeppurple has shared his x-ray images here.

I really want to explore the microwave spectrum one day. I hope the local laws allow it, as you have to be careful with the radio spectrum. In the US, the FCC may knock your door if you transmit without permission, and the laws are strict here too. As for detection, some bands should pose no problem.

Ok got it. In top right click the & symbol. Then can search tags like MWIR.

I tried searching UVC and got nothing as expected, so it works.

Cool.

I'm not sure what is the point of creating even more tags if nobody really uses them.

I will make a Macro tag this evening because Macros can occur in many different sections. Although we have not had a lot of Macros.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I have an idea. It could be a great idea or a very dumb one, your choice. This post is also about sections, but not about the specific renames in the other topic.

One could ask what is the point of having general Infrared (existing) or Ultraviolet (not yet existing) tags when we have specific band tags (at least in the infrared spectrum, such as SWIR, MWIR and LWIR). I initially thought you could pair the general tag with a specific one (or more than one), like Infrared and SWIR or Ultraviolet and UVC (we still have to decide what to do with UVC, right?). This could be done in order to allow someone searching for general infrared contents to do it by searching the Infrared tag, and at the same time allow someone searching specifically for, say, UVB images do that with an UVB tag.

But then I thought: why not make a general Infrared section (already present) and a general Ultraviolet section? That way, if one wants to search for general IR/UV contents he/she can do it in the sections, and for specific searches use the band tags instead. Does this sound good or bad?

I will make a Macro tag this evening because Macros can occur in many different sections. Although we have not had a lot of Macros.

I think it would be good to interpret Macro rather slackish and not like the proper definition ≥1:1

Great. I'll be posting some more macro stereos later this year when I've got a portfolio of good images.

I'm not sure what is the point of creating even more tags if nobody really uses them.

That may be because of ignorance of them (as in my case) or because they needed sorting out (which you are now doing).

UPDATE: I am going to let the Tag situation stablilze a bit before I add anymore new ones.

It will take me a bit of time to clean up old tagging. :rolleyes:

Stefano: But then I thought - why not make a general Infrared section (already present) and a general Ultraviolet section? That way, if one wants to search for general IR/UV contents he/she can do it in the sections, and for specific searches use the band tags instead. Does this sound good or bad?

I wanted to respond so that you would not think I have ignored your suggestion. There's always so much to do here and in my own personal activities that I am a bit slow in getting around to responses.

Your suggestion is reasonable. I should point out that we already do have both a general IR and a general UV section. :smile:

As for the band tags, we do lack a UVA, UVB and UVC set of tags (as opposed to IR, SWIR, MWIR, LWIR), so I am probably willing to add them. Although I think that most people won't use them much. Let me clean up things a bit more first, OK?

Thanks Andrea. In the midtime, I would also add that we may need a NIR tag too. It is different than the other bands. I would define it as 700-1100 nm.

I think that is simply the common IR we all know and which is referenced by the Infrared tag.

Yes/no/maybe??

Andy Perrin
Andrea - I had been using "Infrared" to include all of them (this being prior to the addition of the MWIR/SWIR/LWIR tags) and in addition to those...I should probably remove it from the non-NIR ones in future.
If Andrea adds a NIR tag, and we remove the Infrared tag from anything that is outside NIR, then we could just convert the Infrared tag to the NIR tag, if this is possible (I remember some discussions about this, but I don't remember much).
Another idea: should we have separate tags for UVIVF, UVIIRF and so on? If so, would it be reasonable to have a fluorescence section, like the Infrared and Ultraviolet sections I mentioned? Or maybe it is just better to leave anything as it is now?
Andy Perrin
I vote against separating out the fluorescence tags. It's easy enough to just put those in the search. The problem is that the number of permutations increases quadratically when you start considering things like "A induced B fluorescence."

would it be reasonable to have a fluorescence section, like the Infrared and Ultraviolet sections I mentioned?

We already have a Fluorescence & Luminescence board.

And, as mentioned above, we also have general Infrared and Ultraviolet sections.

I'm slightly confused as to why you are asking for 3 sections we already have???