UltravioletPhotography

UV monochrome of hills near San Francisco, California, U.S.A.

Bill De Jager

Bill De Jager

I decided to do some UV photography around 14:00 but ran into technical and other problems before I could leave the house. As a result the following photo was taken at 45 minutes before local sunset and after clouds had blocked the low sun. The weather was partly cloudy after a cold front and rain had passed through earlier in the day.

50801469378_3a922c7524_b.jpg

Merged Landscape by Bill de Jager, on Flickr

Equipment: Converted Nikon D610, CoastalOpt 60mm f/4 lens, Baader Venus filter.

Settings: ISO 1600, f/8, 1/4 second, +2 exposure compensation, tripod, remote release with mirror up. The small aperture was a miscalculation on my part.

Processing: Four photos merged into one to reduce noise, contrast strongly increased, haze reduced, moderate sharpening, strongly cropped.

I like long panos like this. Gives the eye a nice sense of having been on a journey.

The dark tree line against the successively lighter backgrounds is a classic UV effect that I never tire of in long distance landscapes like this.

Bill De Jager
Thanks for the positive comments. The view was actually a bit hazy in visible and was nicely layered. The UV view was too hazy for a nice layered effect so I reduced the haze. Maybe I just should have shot in visible! It's funny that cropping strongly to a narrow horizontal view creates such an impression of a panorama. The photo was taken with a 60mm lens so it's not all that wide, and I even cropped a bit on the left side.

Bill, That is a very nice wide UV view! Would look very impressive on a large wide wall. :smile:

I wonder what the mural of the UV 'scape would look like in UV