UltravioletPhotography

Sarracenia purpurea [Pitcher Plant]

Adrian

Davies, A. (2020) Sarracenia purpurea L. ssp.purpurea (Saraceniaceae) Pitcher Plant. Photographs in Visible and Reflected Ultraviolet light. https://www.ultravio...cenia-purpurea/

Other Common Names:

• Purple Pitcher Plant
  • Northern Pitcher Plant

Comment:

This North American species was introduced into the UK in the 1980's and has become a pest species. Attempts are made to remove colonies annually. Like all other Sarracenia species photographed, the veining pattern disappears in the UV, to be replaced with UV absorbing liquid droplets.

Note: The spider web has become more visible in the UV record. This is going to become an area of further research. Current research indicates that some spiders webs actually attract their prey by UV reflection.

Reference:

1. Bailey, T, and McPherson S, (2016) Carnivorous Plants of Britain and Ireland. Redfern Natural History Productions.

Equipment: D800-broadband + UV Nikkor 105mm lens

UV: Baader U filter, 4 x Metz 45 CT1 full spectrum modified flash guns. WB with Photo Ninja

Visible: Schott S8612 filter with Elinchrom flash guns.

post-47-0-26694900-1599734030.jpg

Wow, that spiders web looks very different in UV.

Out of interest Adrian, were different apertures used for the visible and UV shots? The depth of field looks very different.

Apologies, the UV was f/8, the visible f/16.

One theory about spider webs is that circular webs can look like flowers when seen in UV. I hope to photograph some during the autumn.

Spider webs have an amyloid structure and will have apple-green birefringence in polarized light when stained with congo red.

I still need to get a great shot of a spider web. I had a perfect one in my yard but missed it before it was destroyed.

• 2 months later...

Adrian, I made a minor rearrangement of your post header

so that it would be searchable by the Index making algorithm. :smile:

Thank you for this lovely contribution.