UltravioletPhotography

Fluorescing still life

Shot with Sigma fp and Nikkor-O 55/1.2 in total darkness. The only light source is TK566 365nm UV flashlight with 1.25" Baader U filter.

post-8-0-02050600-1585455355.jpg

looks like it has the lines ready on it to be painted for Easter.

I wonder if there is a clear coat paint that only changes color when hit with UV? Could be fun as a UV fluorescent Easter egg.

Thank you, guys!

I tentatively cast the UV flashlight onto this brown (not white) chicken egg and realized it fluoresced beautifully in saturated red, which inspired the posted image. The kitchen paper of towel-like texture laid under the objects also fluoresced in light blue. There was slight amount of visible light leak from the flashlight which casts shadows of the objects.

I raised the exposure by about 1/3 stop and trimmed a bit, which were the only adjustments applied to the original DNG file, so the color is essentially SOOC.

We talked about eggs here: https://www.ultravio...3725-kiwi-uvivf

I also photographed a brown one here:

https://www.ultravio...628-brown-eggs/

The visible and IR induced fluorescence looks similar to your white egg visible fluorescence.

Thank you for the instructive links.

I remember that the calcite fluoresces in orange under UV. The spectrum from the fluorescing calcium might be filtered by the shell's brown color and appear red, I guess?

I think that is a really beautiful, artistic photo.

It would make a fascinating print.

((I had forgotten all about eggs' fluorescence!))

I think that is a really beautiful, artistic photo.

It would make a fascinating print.

((I had forgotten all about eggs' fluorescence!))

Thank you, again, Andrea! This chicken egg is brown (not white) under normal light, which may make the fluorescing red even more saturated.

An egg is truly a gift from the nature in every aspect, shape, color and taste!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I didn’t know eggs are so colorful under UV light!

That was a pleasant surprise to me, too! After the first attempt, I found that a boiled egg with its shell removed fluoresced in lime green under UV. So, I definitely wanted to add it to the original color scheme.

For what is worth, here are the "objects" used in the last two images: a boiled egg with its shell removed (fluorescing in lime green), a brown raw egg (in red) and a sheet of kitchen paper with the towel-like texture.

post-8-0-80101600-1586680625.jpg

Akira,

I recommended the following book many years when we talked about the fluorescence of eggs on the "old UV site", you might find it an interesting read.

The Colours of Life: An Introduction to the Chemistry of Porphyrins and Related Compounds.

Akira,

I recommended the following book many years when we talked about the fluorescence of eggs on the "old UV site", you might find it an interesting read.

The Colours of Life: An Introduction to the Chemistry of Porphyrins and Related Compounds.

Hi, Shane, long time no see! Thank you for the reminder. I searched the book on amazon and eBay and found it is sold for over 100 USD :blink:

I'll keep an eye on a more affordable copy.

Hi, Shane, long time no see! Thank you for the reminder. I searched the book on amazon and eBay and found it is sold for over 100 USD :blink:

I'll keep an eye on a more affordable copy.

Plenty of affordable ones here....

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&cm_sp=SearchF-_-home-_-Results&kn=&an=&tn=The+Colours+of+Life%3A+An+Introduction+to+the+Chemistry+of+Porphyrins+and+Related+Compounds&isbn=

Shane, thank you for the book reccie: The Colours of Life: An Introduction to the Chemistry of Porphyrins and Related Compounds.

This fellow, octa-ethyl-por-phyrin, looks like a Transformer out to get ya!!

Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 1.29.10 PM.jpg

61ecfd796d135d689425bb0c8f35027d.jpg

Akira, the patterned glowing egg is way cool!

I was wondering what would happen if you made some pinpoint holes in the shell and then fluoresced the egg. Would there be little glowing rays?

Shane, thank you for the book reccie: The Colours of Life: An Introduction to the Chemistry of Porphyrins and Related Compounds.

This fellow, octa-ethyl-por-phyrin, looks like a Transformer out to get ya!!

Akira, the patterned glowing egg is way cool!

I was wondering what would happen if you made some pinpoint holes in the shell and then fluoresced the egg. Would there be little glowing rays?

LOL, Andrea! You seem to be right!

And thank you for the inspiration. I would need a much stronger UV flashlight to induce the fluorescing "rays". But, in effect, you reminded me that I had a punch for the leather work. Next time, I will try to make a boiled egg with the neatly perforated "polka dot" shell. :smile: