UltravioletPhotography

Kiwi UVIVF

Chlorophyll is probably the responsible for the red glow. It fluoresces deep red.

I agree that it could be chlorophyll, though it definitely seemed brighter than other chlorophyll containing plant parts like leaves. When I was doing this test I bought a bunch of fruit and the kiwi was by far the brightest.

Lots of stuff other than chlorophyll can appear with a red fluorescence. Try eggs -- no chlorophyll there ...

That would make more sense, since it seems strange that there would be significant photosynthetic ability on the inside of a fruit.

Lots of stuff other than chlorophyll can appear with a red fluorescence. Try eggs -- no chlorophyll there ...

Yes, eggs are very cool under UV. I tried it once. The chemical that does this is protoporphyrin IX (I did a quick research). Why a precursor oh haemoglobin should be found inside a kiwi? Also, the green color of this fruit suggests me of chlorophyll, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense. Chlorophyll is present also in unusual parts of a plant, even though green fruits are not very common.

Eggs were just an example that sprung to mind....

Yes, of course you didn't mean that it was the same compound found in eggs. I may have given this idea with my answer.

Great kiwi image.

The kiwi berries are similar. I shot some but never posted.

Similarly never posted that English cucumber seem to so far be one of the brightest vegetables.