UltravioletPhotography

Eremophila christopheri White Form [Dolomite Fuchsia Bush]

DaveO

Oldfield, D. 2020. Eremophila christopheri white form F. Muell. (Scrophulariaceae) Dolomite Fuchsia Bush. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/3655-eremophila-christopheri-white-form-dolomite-fuchsia-bush/page__fromsearch__1

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

24 November 2019

Australian Native Wildflower as Garden Specimen

Synonyms:

Pholodia christophori Kraenzl.

Eremophila christophori F. Muell.

Bontia christopheri (F. Muell.) Kuntze

Eremophila christophorii Barlow

Comments:

Eremophila christopheri occurs in a band extending east north east from the Macdonnell Ranges west of Alice Springs in the southern part of the Northern Territory of Australia. The colour of the flowers can be white, pink or lilac.

Visible Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/200 s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-05415100-1578884991.jpg

Image Reference: DO66484

Ultraviolet Light: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nissin Di866 Mark II flash, 1/200s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-36909200-1578885009.jpg

Image Reference: DO66485

Ultraviolet Induced Visible Fluorescence: Nikon D750 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens with Baader UV/IR Cut Filter, Nichia NCSU033A UV-LED with Baader UV-Pass Filter, 10.0 s @ f/16 ISO 1600.

post-28-0-87880000-1578885024.jpg

Image Reference: DO66487

References:

Mueller, FJH von (1875). Fragmenta Phytographiae Australiae 9 (77).

Chinnock, R.J. Eremophila and Allied Genera, Rosenberg, 2007, p. 457.

Published 13 January 2020

• 1 month later...
Both the lilac form and the white form have the same UV reflectivity, it seems. But the fluorescence is different. Must be because of the different pigmentation, yes?

Andrea, If I had a lab I would do Thin Layer Chromatography (TLC) which is a more recent version of paper chromatography and I'm pretty sure you would see multiple components in an aqueous extract of the flowers , some spots would absorb UV, some would fluoresce, some wouldn't care. I would not be surprised to find that one component was responsible for the UV absorption and another for the visible colour and either/both/neither for the fluorescence. The plants have had millions of years separated from the rest of the world to get it right.

Col, the 'fuzz' are usually called hairs and I think they help to make the pollinating insect brush against the parts of the flower (you can tell I'm not a botanist) which dispense and receive the pollen. These flowers all evolved in the presence of native Aussie pollinating insects, there goes another lifetime to sort it all out.

Dave