UltravioletPhotography

UVF Ceropegia sp.

A fascinating flower: Ceropegia sp. (? sutherlandii) in UVF. The flower traps insects for a while while they collect pollen. The flower releases the insect after a time, and it is then free to take the pollen to another flower. Has anyone else photographed this plant? I am hoping to do some reflected UV images next year when I have grown a plant of my own!

Technical details:

Nikon D810 with 105mm micro Nikkor lens. Convoy S2+ UV torch (with cheap ZWB2 UG1 filter from eBay). Approx 15 seconds @ f/11. 200 ISO.

post-47-0-18240900-1559819171.jpg

post-47-0-99370100-1559819179.jpg

Didn't know this genus, but obviously it has a fascinating approach to pollination.

The images you posted are very good, nicely done illustrations. We just miss the UV reflection part ....

• 3 weeks later...

This is a new one for me. Quite stunning. Thanks, Adrian for posting.

(And you are always welcome to post your beautiful photos in the botanical section. I don't think that would take away from any future publication of your own work that you might write later?)

Andrea,

Yes, a really interesting plant. This specimen was not mine, but I have a small one to grow, so will hopefully be able to shoot some more next year, including UVF and UVR

Adrian

enricosavazzi

Didn't know this genus, but obviously it has a fascinating approach to pollination.

The images you posted are very good, nicely done illustrations. We just miss the UV reflection part ....

I posted UV reflection pictures of a similar species (C. sandersonii) quite some time ago:

https://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php/topic/2030-unknown-cultivar/page__view__findpost__p__14237

The past couple of years my plants have made very few flowers, though.