UltravioletPhotography

More minerals

Hornblende

Hello all,

I have been away for a long time due to my studies but I am slowly going back on cool mineral fluorescence photography :smile:

Below is a picture of leucophanite crystals (a kind of beryllium silicate) fluorescing under UV-long wave. In visible light they are rather boring, colorless to creamy yellow, which contrast with there bright-pink fluorescence!

I still have some problem with dust specs and fluorescence of the background material. I need to find a non-fluorescent, very black paint.

Canon 6D – El Nikkor 80mm f5.6 – Baader UV/IR cut – Convoy S2 w/ filtered with a baader U Venus filter

ISO 400 – 8 seconds exposure – f22

post-136-0-86016700-1557065565.jpg

I used to use Industrial Krylon 1602 Ultra Flat Black for most of my UV, IR and fluorescence work. It even worked well for covering the internal surface of a light blocking cover that was placed over gem materials being measured on an Ocean Optic integrating sphere.

Ooo... that is very pretty!

Yes, I learned about the 1602 from Shane years ago, works great.

It is possible Lee has one of the background materials that will work, I have not tested those yet.

• 9 months later...

The Semple really *is* black even under UV. No fluorescence as far as I can ascertain.

The problem with backgrounds -- and specimens themselves - usually are caused by deposits of lint. I don't think those problems ever can be completely circumvented.

Yes I also use Semple Black 2. Version 3 wasn't out yet when I bought version 2.

Both are really good. Jonathan also tested version 3.

It doesn't look black to me under visible light. But it is from a reflection point of view. So with a camera its black.

It doesn't look black to me under visible light. But it is from a reflection point of view. So with a camera its black.

You need a microscopically rough surface to get rid of the reflections. People have tried a lot of things, including nanotubes (vantablack) to roughen the surface. I don't think an acrylic paint can replicate that. What we really need is UV polarizers that cost a reasonable amount...

• 7 months later...