post-237-0-94379200-1553269297.jpg

f2,8, 1/13 s, iso 1600

post-237-0-91894000-1553269491.jpg

and close up photos

f2,8, 1/15 s, iso 1600

post-237-0-29385400-1553269350.jpg

f2,8, 1/6 s, iso 3200

post-237-0-00931400-1553269572.jpg

These portraits all have an appealing niceness to them. I doubt they are "pure" UV though, but whatever non-UV is recorded additionally just makes the final outcome better.

It appears you have the eye for composition which in my opinion is one of, if not the, hardest aspects of photography to acquire or figure out. Nice work! If this comes naturally to you then congrats on having that in your toolkit. I noticed it back in your IR work.

I look forward to seeing more of your stuff! It's inspiring to see UV, IR and rest with such spirit and creativity. Makes me want to get out and shoot some more!

Andy Perrin
Really lovely photos! You found a lot of people willing to have their picture taken in UV — I have not had much luck with that.

Thank you so much!! :)

Birna, yes, my filters can't give pure UV. But I still hope that the other spectra are not so much. But I like this effect, a lot of color. Thank you for the kind words!) I'm so happy you like it!!

Damon, and your these words inspire me to shoot some more))) Thank you!! I am very glad that my pictures cause the desire to go to take photographs.

Andy Perrin, I am very pleased that you like! I was looking among relatives and friends. :D Taking pictures of strangers is my problem)) But I train in public places where a lot of busy people, in the zoo for example

1/13 s, iso 1600, f3,5, lens industar-50, Olympus em5FS

post-237-0-43861300-1553320560.jpg

or in parks.

the sunbath and some music

1/40 s, iso 3200, f3,5, lens industar-50, Olympus em5FS

post-237-0-34200400-1553320747.jpg

1/6 s, iso 1600, f4, lens т-43, Olympus em5FS

post-237-0-34102600-1553321155.jpg

post-237-0-27753900-1553321172.jpg

They are nice photos, especially the first one.

I often have filters on my mind...

So much as I would like to immediately agree with Birna out of my dislike of Chinese filter glass,

I recalled that someone a few weeks or months back now on here had pointed out that QB21 was equivalent to Schott BG38,

which is what is shown on the Newport Glass filter comparison page as being equivalent to BG38.

However when I go to their QB21 glass data page, the graph is different than Schott BG38.

I would point out that Newport Glass is a very reputable filter glass supplier.

Then, when I go to the Optima Japan blue filter glass page, I see another QB21 graph which when overlaid is not the same as the Newport Glass graph.

This is the norm with Chinese glass graphs, you can't even define what it is, and furthermore you can't trust it to be what they say it is, or the graph you thought it was suppose to be,

because all their graphs disagree with each other...

So I can't even approach these Chinese filters or stack with any real comparison.

The graphs I am looking at are all 2mm thick, but the comparisons are all over the place.

I want to compare them on a graph. I want to say if there is or is not IR in the photos,

but you can't from the data they supply.

I have overlays I made, and perhaps I will come back and attach those in a while,

but ... why?

The only thing I can say, is about the thickness of the stack Eka is using. 3mm + 3mm is a pretty thick stack.

'If' we used the same 3mm of UG1 or U-360 + 3mm of BG38 then you would probably be safe no matter which graph or glass you are using.

Here is an example below using BG38 (which a wrong choice for IR suppression).

However using 3mm glass reduces efficiency and speed, because the UV peak amplitude becomes so low that your exposure time needs to be longer, or your ISO needs to be higher,

it is not an efficient UV stack.

I think a non color swapped version would show IR or not better than the color edited shots shown, as much as I like your photos.

Keep in mind that 1E-03 is the absolute danger point. IR should remain below 1E-40 or even 1E-05.

Being close to 1E-04 is good, but longer exposure time is required to shoot the UV at the lower peak UV amplitude, then you will also increase sensitivity to the IR leak range.

post-87-0-64467900-1553321139.jpg

I'm sorry, I think I messed up the thickness of the glass. i have УФС 3mm, zwb 2mm and UG1 1mm. I just measured them all again right now. I was absolutely sure they were 3 mm thick. I often forget to keep an eye the technical subtleties in the pursuit of " how it looks". I don't know what to do about it. I beg your pardon..... :( Here need a smiley banging his head against the wall

Eka,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You posted this in UV people. Not the more technical area. Your first post is quite captivating and interesting too look at. It almost encourages me to leave my dark cave and randomly look at my surroundings in multi spectra.

We do sometimes get caught up in the analytical analysis here and just need to stop and enjoy the images.

Thank you for posting these.

I'm sorry, I think I messed up the thickness of the glass. i have УФС 3mm, zwb 2mm and UG1 1mm. I just measured them all again right now. I was absolutely sure they were 3 mm thick. I often forget to keep an eye the technical subtleties in the pursuit of " how it looks". I don't know what to do about it. I beg your pardon..... :( Here need a smiley banging his head against the wall

There is no need top apologize for anything, but I am slightly confused.

You said at the top in your first post that you used ZWB2 + QB21 for these shots. Is that correct?

Here you are mentioning UG1 and УФС 3mm, did you use either of those in these photos?

You also say here that the ZWB2 you used is 2mm thick (not 3mm), right?

How thick is the QB21?

If all the shots above were shot with ZWB2 2mm + QB21, then I just want to know what the thickness of the QB21 is.

Again, no reason to apologize or be concerned.

Thanks.

The first photos above are very powerful and evocative. (However, it is clear why wedding photographers do not shoot in UV.) :)

The issue of Chinese glass is easy to understand.

From Schott, we can expect consistency in any BG40 glass; it is only made by Schott to one established recipe and with GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices). There will inevitably be some, slight variation between melts but nothing dramatic unless the QA people had a bad day.

Chinese glass is made by a large number of firms. Each company will have their own recipes, practices, equipment, and QA standards. Some companies will not adhere to GMP. Thus, one firm's QB21 may (will?) be markedly different than the same designation glass from another firm. It is not possible therefore to provide an accurate equivalence between UG11 and ZWB1, nor between melts of ZWB1 from different glassmakers. Thus, we might understand ZWB1 as a general concept rather than a single graphable entity. Nevertheless, if a person were to find some Chinese-made glass that he liked, and trusted the maker, he might have a great product with excellent consistency.

Just some thoughts. YMMV.

Reed-

That is a good explanation for the differences in Chinese glass from different companies.

Some more thoughts:

If the exact transmission is essential it is more important to verify a filter glass produced in China with measurements.

There is a second thing to consider beside the glass transmission.

When producing the final filter it is ground to the final thickness.

During that process things can go wrong with surface flatness like dimples, striations, scratches etc.

Some companies in China are producing with GMP, but not all of them do.

One must be observant for possible risks with this and verify that the quality meets the need.

Ulf,

All too true. "Trust but verify."

All the ionic glasses have possibilities of external (flatness, etc.) and internal (bubbles, etc.) deviations from stated norms. Holding a glassmaker to their own advertized standards is essential, imo. This is doubly true of coating companies. :)

I find some of that true.

Regardless, I was asking about the glass and thickness so I could make a general graph to get an idea of the general transmission for the photos above.

Given the Chinese glass 'factors', I can't trust the graph completely, however, if I know the glass type and thickness I can make a graph that shows the general plot of the stack being used.

Valuable info for anyone who might want to try doing similar photos.

Of course there is the channel 'swapping' or processing, that would be a whole other thing, not asking about that, just saying.

I just got back. And there are so many messages) :) Thank you very much for your attention and your interest

dabateman, thank you!! Yes, I like pictures more. Technical nuances really are not my strong suit :) Ok, I then won't worry about it more and just will to make pictures.

Cadmium, I was apologizing because I don't like to mislead anyone. All the shots above were shot with ZWB2 2mm + QB21 3mm. It's absolutely right. I have no qb21 2 mm. The trees would not have been black with qb21 2mm - I know this from photos of other photographers

Reed F. Curry, thank you! Yes, wedding dresses are terrible color in UV :) but sometimes there are white.

And Chinese filters ... I not know...I have UG1 and russian UV-glass. I'll make comparisons when there's more sun and trees with leaves.

I have some graphs of Chinese glass. Have been doing a little spectrograph testing. nothing very wrong

My 30mb for photos ran out :(

Thanks Eka, so then here is an updated graph.

This is only a rough guess, because I don't expect ZWB2 performs exactly the same as UG1, and I am even more skeptical that QB21 performs the same as Schott BG38.

So this is as close as I can get. IR content would be borderline, not the best especially given the lower UV strength, but probably not '~much~' noticeable IR +/-.

Hope you don't mind the graph...

Always enjoy your photos.

post-87-0-88967400-1553614982.jpg

Been here, read this, good work.

I have to add an off-topic comment. Seeing MacDonald's in Cyrillic letters is way weird. Is MacDonald's popular in Russia? I think I am embarrassed!!

:)

Thank you!)

Not as popular as a couple decades ago. When "Макдак" just appeared here the queue was 4-5 hours or more. That was fast food in russian at that time :D But that was a long time ago.

Not anymore now, too much other restaurant, coffee shop and so on has become. But McDonald's are near each metro station, a lot of them and so they are constantly caught the eye and in the frame :D

A little some more about the wedding dresses :)

Olympus em5FS, sigma 30mm, zwb2 2mm + qb21 3mm

f2,8, 1/50-1/60 s, iso 1600

channel replacements

post-237-0-63999000-1553854079.jpg

post-237-0-20226000-1553854293.jpg

I like the second bridal shot. Exactly what I see here. Parents too busy on their phones to give their children time.

The UV weddings makes me think its a purity test for the bride. Is that dress really white?

Andrea, there is a Ramstein song "where all living in America" to highlight how much American companies have really penetrated into other cultures.

dabateman, thanks for the comment!)

The white dress is white :) But my attention were attracted more the second dress in the background also.

The picture was such, until the channel replacement. Such a bright yellowish color!

I know that about the wavelength of ultraviolet light can't be judged by the color, but I want to believe that it was 360 nm

Reason to think so is this:

http://www.ultraviol...asonic-lumix-g3

and this:

the spectra obtained by Dmitry

post-237-0-27176000-1553882798.jpg

The Sigma 30mm I don't think goes as low as 360. Maybe 365nm maximum. I think you may actually be seing at 370nm, which is what I think the limit of the Sigma is.

355nm to 375nm looks yellow. 375nm to 385nm is bluish and above 385nm is deep blue or very blue. Under 340nm is green, with 313 to 300nm being like a super green.

At least this is what I have found with my full spectrum converted Em1 and E510 cameras.