UltravioletPhotography

Yooperlites

Our local mineral museum has a big display on mineral fluorescence--it is more common than one might casually believe. I don't know about sodalite in particular as a fluorescing substance; it may depend on what the impurities are. Interesting stuff.

That is just the coolest thing!! Now I want to go rummaging around with my Convoys on beaches and rocks at night.

Probably a good idea to carry ID, carry a camera, wear a fluorescent vest and know the url of UltravioletPhotography.com in case some cop or park ranger wants to know what the heck we are all doing fluorescing everything in sight at night. :D :D :D

Note to Self: Remember to go fluoresce Seawall next time you are there.

Used to run around in the bush looking for scorpions with a UV torch - quite well known but what isn't all that well known is looking for owls with UV light. Their feathers fluoresce quite nicely in adult birds and helps determine the age of the bird. The down side is you need a monster UV spotlight to be regularly successful (or very lucky) whereas the scorpions can be found with a small pocket torch.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1676/09-125.1