UltravioletPhotography

Baileya multiradiata [Desert Marigold]

Andrea B.

Blum, A.G. (2013) Baileya multiradiata Harvey & A. Gray ex A.Gray (Asteraceae) Desert Marigold. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...esert-marigold/

Synonyms:

• Hierba Amarilla

Comment:

The silvery-green, woolly foliage and the long leafless stems topped by the cheerful bright yellow daisies make for easy recognition of this native plant which grows abundantly along the roadsides in the desert southwestern US. Its appearance in ultraviolet is uniformly UV-dark but with some patchy, bright iridescence as the light plays across the flower head.

Reference:

1. Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix, Arizona, USA

baileyaMultiradiataSign_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_287origProofPn.jpg

2. Epple, A.O. (1995) Desert Marigold, page 261. A Field Guide to the Plants of Arizona. Falcon Guides, Globe Pequot Press, Guilford, CT.

SET 1

Desert Botanical Garden, Phoenix, Arizona, USA

22 April 2013

Wildflower in botanical garden

Equipment: [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/6.3 for 1/1600" @ ISO 100 with Nikon Coolpix A]

baileyaMultiradiataVisSun_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_255proofPnCrop.jpg

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/500" @ ISO 100 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

baileyaMultiradiataVisSun_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_7788proofPnCrop.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/4.5 for 1/160" @ ISO 800 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

baileyaMultiradiataUVBaadSB14_042213desBotGardPhoenixAZ_7801proofPnCrop.jpg

SET 2

Boyce Thompson Arboretum, Superior, Arizona, USA

23 April 2013

Wildflower in botanical garden

Equipment: [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/5.6 for 1/800" @ ISO 100 with Nikon Coolpix A]

baileyaMultiradiataVisFlash_042313boyceThompsonArbSuperiorAZ_542origProofPn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/5.6 for 1/60" @ ISO 800 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

pic_042313boyceThompArbSuperiorAZ_8715origProofPn.jpg

• 7 years later...

SET 3

El Dorado at Santa Fe, Santa Fe County, New Mexico, USA

23 May 2020

Wildflower

I pushed the saturation of the UV flower to find the underlying false colors which are less evident in preceding examples.

I messed up the flower name! Should be Baileya multiradiata.

baileyaMultiradiata_20200523elDoradoNM_19829_CollageResize.jpg

Those colours are strong Andrea.

I am wondering what the UV+Blue+Green, would look like with the UV blocked, It seems to me that the UV isn't doing much ?

Cheers

Col

That’s right, Col. UV is not doing much here because not much UV is being reflected by this flower. So most of the wavelengths passing through the UV+Blue+Green filter are visible reflections.
Bill De Jager

Nice results, Andrea. It's amazing how uniformly dark the flowers are in UV. We also have this flower in the desert regions of southeastern California.

BTW, the scientific name on set 3 should be Baileya multiradiata. I think the specific epithet refers to the unusual abundance of ray flowers in the flower heads in this species.

• 1 month later...

I wonder how I screwed that up?? Thank you for catching the name error, Bill.

In natural light, the reflectivity along the tips and edges of the rays is more obvious than it is in my indoor, artificially lit photo. I think for flowers the natural sunlight might be the best way to document them. Not always easy when the breezes are blasting away outdoors here in New Mexico. :lol:

Bill De Jager
You're welcome, Andrea. Don't feel bad - it hasn't happened on this site but I've been known to spell my own name Blil, and Denise ended up as Densie. :omy: At least that last one I caught before I posted it. :angel:
  • 9 months later...