UltravioletPhotography

Narcissus poëticus [Poet's Narcissus]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Narcissus poëticus L. (Amaryllidaceae). Poet's Narcissus. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...oets-narcissus/

Narcissus poëticus L.

NO: Pinselilje

SE: Pingstlilja

DK: Pinselilje

FI: Valkonarsissi

DE: Weiße Narzisse

EN: Poet's Narcissus; Pheasant's-eye Daffodil

A perennial plant growing from hibernating bulbs and native to Southern Europe, N. poëticus is widely cultivated as an early-flowering ornamental plant. It has scapes each supporting a large showy flower with a perianth comprising six white-coloured tepals in whorls of three and an inner short tube or corona, usually yellow-coloured with a wavy red rim. Below each flower there is a papery bract. There are a myriad of cultivars and some escape from cultivation to become naturalised on open grass land, often in parks, near urban areas.

The perianth is organised in two whorls with three slighty larger outer sepals and three inner petals.There is an inner tubular structure, designated a corona. The stamens are inserted in the nectaria within the corona.

Plants collected and photographed near Oslo, Norway 21-22 Apr 2011. These specimens were fully naturalised on open grasslands.

NARC_POE_I1105201095_VIS.jpg

Image reference: NARC_POE_I1105201095_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader UV/IR Cut filter, daylight.

NARC_POE_I11051934390_UV.jpg

Image reference: NARC_POE_I11051934390_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: light: Nikon D40X, UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, Broncolor Minicom studio flash, uncoated Xenon tube. Eight frames stacked with Zerene Stacker software.

The UV signature of N. poëticus is complex and comprises several components. Firstly, the perianth is moderately UV reflective, but a wide diversity of cell structures both within the corolla and on the tepals adds a lot of sparkle. Secondly, due to the presence of conical cells iridescence prevails all over the corolla surface. It is noteworthy that the entrance to the corona ("trumpet") is endowed with cell structures not found elsewhere on the tepals.

Below are 100% crops of some of the parts of the flower, taken from the UV image above.

NARC_POE_I11051934390_UV_100pct_CORONA.jpg

NARC_POE_I11051934390_UV_100pct_PETAL.jpg

NARC_POE_I11051934390_UV_100pct_SEPAL.jpg

[Published 18 May 2013]