UltravioletPhotography

Santa in UV/IR-Land

Andrea B.

Turns out this Santa figurine has some interesting UV/Vis/IR properties. So it might prove useful as a kind of informal standard when investigating such things as IR leakage through UV-pass filters?

Equipment [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/5.6 for 1/1.6" @ ISO-100 with Onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

Ultraviolet Light [f/5.6 for 15" @ ISO-100 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and StraightEdgeU UV-Pass Filter]

Note: Two UV-flashes were fired. My version of the StraightEdgeU is not clad.

Infrared Light [f/5.6 for 1/1.6" @ ISO-100 with Onboard Flash and Schott 830nm IR-Pass Filter]

These photos are 302 pixels wide so they should line up if you expand your browser.

Left to right: Ultraviolet, Visible, Infrared 830

santaUS_straightEdgeU_sb14_20171209wf_8463pn201.jpgsantaUS_visFlash_20171209wf_8461pn201.jpgsantaUS_ir830flash_20171209wf_8487pn01.jpg

Here are the B&W versions.

The UV Santa has dark mustache and dark arms. The Visible Santa has white mustache and dark arms. The IR830 Santa has white mustache and white arms. Of course there are other differences - note the eyes and robe details.

Left to right: Ultraviolet, Visible, Infrared 830

santaUS_straightEdgeU_sb14_20171209wf_8463pn01.jpgsantaUS_visFlash_20171209wf_8461pn01.jpgsantaUS_ir830flash_20171209wf_8487pn01.jpg

All photos from a series entitled Trans-Spectral Artifacts.
Andrea, is the third santa on the top row the wrong photo? It does not look like the black and white version below it! In fact you may have the visible black and white confused with the IR830 there, I'm thinking?

Thanks!!! Sorry, I clicked the wrong upload icon. Will fix.

My phone hasn't stopped ringing today. And I never did get finished with this post. Must be Monday! :wacko: :blink: :o

Also we just had a terror incident up in the City, so I was a bit rattled. We were going to go up this week to look at the holiday decorations.

Ah, are you a New Yorker? Yeah, it is unsettling, although I bet the safest time to go visit is right AFTER an attack! (I have no proof, I'm just going by the logic that it's much harder when the place is swarming with investigators.)
The mustache is intriguing--it does not look dark in the visible, so what is going on here? Is it really Santa, or a mustache-twirling impostor?

Andy, we are in central NJ, only 17 miles away as the crow flies but takes about 1.5 hours by train because it has to go around the bay. No guarantees these days on when it's safe. Sometimes this kind of thing occurs in clusters. But enough.......

Clark, I've been wondering about that mustache! I'm suspecting two different kinds of white paint? But why?? :lol: