UltravioletPhotography

Article: "An introduction to near infrared (NIR) spectroscopy"

Andy Perrin

Andy Perrin

This article was a rather nice introduction, with some interesting history, to NIR spectroscopy. I've been reading up on NIR spectroscopy in my search for interesting things to look at with my SWIR setup; this was the article that led me to take photos of sugar, which certainly had dramatic results. Based on this, I think trying to build a pseudo-color MWIR setup (2500–50,000 nm according to the article) would yield fascinating results, because apparently that is the "fingerprint region" where all the chemical action is. My googling of FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy) seems to suggest that even using 2500-8000nm would probably generate some cool photos, especially if it was split into 3 bands and assigned to RGB channels.

https://www.impublications.com/content/introduction-near-infrared-nir-spectroscopy

Wow. Interesting stuff.

And this.....

What is surprising is that in spite of the success of NIR spectroscopic analysis, world-wide there are very few university chemistry departments that have any programme of research in NIR spectroscopy. Consequently, the majority of chemistry students leave university with no knowledge of NIR, with the possible exception of the old fashioned view that there is nothing useful to learn about the NIR region.

Some enterprising grad students can find some dissertation topics in this area I'll bet.