UltravioletPhotography

Thermal IR buildings

I got a FLIR i7 a few years ago, and since then I've been stitching together pictures of buildings and landscapes. The FLIR camera has a resolution of just 160x120 pixels which are then interpolated. Most of these images were hand-stitched from 30 or more individual pictures; more recently I've gotten better at coaxing Photoshop into doing it for me automagically. All the visible photos were by iPhone, and the near infrared is from my IR-converted iPhone 4.

A local hill that stands over a monastery:

post-94-0-94935100-1452145184.jpg

Kenmore Square, Boston, Massachusetts, US. Note the glowing bus shelter! It was a hot summer day.

post-94-0-33449900-1452145220.jpg

My own apartment last winter (before the snow came):

post-94-0-60984300-1452145312.jpg

Standing on the fire escape of my apartment. You can really see the errors in the stitching on this one, sorry!

post-94-0-34285700-1452145374.jpg

Yawkey station, near Kenmore (above), waiting for the train. Of note here: the advertisement shows up in the thermal because the dark parts absorb sunshine better. If I take thermal IR pictures of advertisements near sunset, I can actually watch the advertisement go blank as the surface approaches uniform temperature.

post-94-0-01636500-1452145428.jpg

Absolutely fascinating, Andy. Thanks for posting this!

Great work with all the stitching. That's not easy using such small rectangles. Bjørn has a pano app he recommends which might be an improvement over the PS version. So I hope he sees this thread and mentions it.

Look how hot the street was on that summer day!

Andrea means PTGui. It is very good. Also capable of handling many image with ease and is lean on its memory consumption. I have sometimes stitched 200+ images each of 60 MB and although the process is *not* instant, not that time-consuming either.