UltravioletPhotography

Cracticus tibicen [Australian Magpie]

Oldfield, D. 2014. Cracticus tibicen Latham, 1801 (Artamidae) Australian Magpie. Fauna photographed in visible and ultraviolet light.

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/988-cracticus-tibicen-australian-magpie/

Maldon, Victoria, Australia

3 August 2014

Australian bird

Synonym

Gymnorhina tibicen

Comment

The Australian Magpie is found across the whole of Australia except in the driest deserts. There are three races which differ in the relative amounts of black and white in the plumage, largely on the back. This feather was from a specimen of the hypoleuca race common in Victoria.

Visible Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Metz 15 MS-1 flash, 1/180 s @ f/16 ISO 200, B+W UV/IR Cut Filter.

post-28-0-51895100-1408326488.jpg

Image Reference: DO53304

Ultraviolet Light: Pentax K-5 Full Spectrum Modification, Nikon Rayfact PF10545 MF-UV 105 mm f/4.5 lens, Nikon SB-14 flash, 1/180s @ f/16 ISO 200, Baader UV-Pass Filter.

post-28-0-66171100-1408326506.jpg

Image Reference: DO53306

References:

Pizzey, G and Knight F. Field Guide to the Birds of Australia, Angus & Robertson, 1999, p. 462.

Published 18 August 2014

That is quite dramatic in UV and very interesting, Dave.

Thanks for adding info to our Fauna board.

Looks like an Australian magpie feather would make a pretty good UV white balance target if you don't have one handy :D

Better with one teflon piece in hand than ten magpies on a roof.

On a tangential note, I found expanded ('foam') material used for packing electronics (the ubiquitous grey material we all throw away the minute the case is opened) to be perfectly UV neutral. It also has good Lambertian properties, better in fact than many Teflon items.

It is like that stuff found in Pelican boxes ?

I've found some of that foam packing to be a tad reflective in spots.

But I'll keep an eye out for the more Lambertian kind for use as background and so forth.