UltravioletPhotography

Greetings from London :)

Timber

Hi everyone,

First of all thank you for accepting me to this forum. :)

I am just a Hungarian* guy from London nothing special about me (well I am very special on my own way as everyone is! B)). I keep photography on a hobby level, I am mainly interested in street / people but unfortunately being busy with work I don't have much opportunities to practice it. I got attracted to infrared photography a few years ago when I first got a Panasonic FZ-50 converted to full spectrum. Since then I was always interested in trying the UV photography (I think I read Bjorn's articles about UV photography so many times that I've already learned them :D) but the price for the UV filters was always a bit high for me. As I soon realized the limits of the FZ-50 (noise / image quality) I always wanted to get a converted APS-C camera (had a few candidates: Pentax K20D later a Kr, then when I switched to Nikon a D5100 and last a Sony a77 which had a scratch on it's HotFilter anyway...) but did not found a service reasonably priced (usually go for £250 in the UK... and unfortunately I can't find the guy who did my FZ-50 for a bargain price in Hungary)... As I moved to the Sony NEX system (a6000 being the camera designed 100% satisfying my needs and wants) and finding an already converted almost brand new NEX-6 at the right price just when I got my holiday allowances paid by my previous employer the same time (coincidence? ha! I don't think so! :D) I finally ended up with my always-wanted-never-bought-before APS-C Full Spectrum camera.

So far I only got a U-360 filter which, on it's own, more of a "true" color IR filter (with nice blue skies without channel swap) than a true UV filter I can't say I've done any UV photography, but I am really excited about receiving a BG40 filter and start snapping UV photos. I find UV portraits just amazing. I just can't stop watching Cara Phillips' work. And I believe me being hooked into UV photography is largely due to the enthusiasm of Bjorn coming through his articles... kinda like "he's enjoying it so much it must be so much fun so I just could not miss it!" :D I am sure you guys know exactly what I am talking about :)

My not-photography related side is: I am a security guard, currently working at John Jones Art Center, a "working hard to be a" positive thinker and most importantly life-happy all the time (having a filipino wife helps a lot in this :D)... and -according to my wife- I like to do random things (just to entertain myself... :D)

ps.: On the technical side: I've a Sony NEX 6, hotfilter replaced with a Spectosil 2000 Fused Silica... thingie... :) I have some old single coated lenses that I believe will work fine with UV photography. So far I only own a Hoya U-360 filter with a BG40 arriving soon.

ps2.: My name is Peter, the nickname Timber stuck with me since 1999 when I could not stop listening / watching Coldcut's song titled Timber with an amazing video made by Hexstatic...

* - Please, no more "Are you from Hungary? You must be hungry then." jokes! :D

Hello Timber - and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the site. It sounds like you are getting together a good UV kit. We will look forward to your experiments with it. Show us your world in UV!!