UltravioletPhotography

Ciao!

Anfy

Hello,

I am a photographer and photo-illustrator from Rome, Italy.

My site is scurochiaro.com (warning! Subsections contain nudity and what can be possibily considered (3D- fantasy) graphic images).

I am a passionate animal rights activist and actively promote a vegan lifestyle.

I am interested in UV photography for human (and pets) portraiture only.

As to this simulated (with a b&w conversion filter for raster graphic manipulation software) test picture:

post-59-0-55294800-1407025930.jpg

I own, as a basic kit to start with UV photography, an unmodified Nikon D70, a Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 AI-S (similar to the Series E one), a Nikon 35mm f/2.5 Series E, Baader U (Venus) filter 2" and some other cameras (mostly mirrorless - unmodified as well), lenses and accessories, mainly led (ring) lights.

Preliminary tests show somewhat disappointing results: I am able to achieve slow shutter speeds only (say, 1/6 of a second in a fully sunny day), even at f/1.8 or f/2.5, so something must be wrong in my camera/lens/filter/lighting chain; or in my technique. We will see!

Ciao!

Andrea Festa (please remember that A. is a masculine given name in Italy).

post-59-0-55294800-1407025930.jpg

Welcome to UVP!

2 issues: unmodified D70 probably loses 1-2 EV compared to cameras without internal hotmirror.

Then lenses also. Series E might transmit some UV, but I am guessing much less than EL NIkkor enlarge lens.

I was able to do a portrait a few days back, at about 1/30 sec exposure at ISO 800 (I have to check) with my modified DMC-G5 camera and UG11+S8612 filters and El Nikkor 80mm.

Thank you!

I was a bit puzzled since further tests with my 360 leds ring light gave me perfectly dark frames; then I tried an "old" Yongnuo 560 EX flash and - bingo! - I was able to achieve acceptable results. Now I am managing the best way to put two or three of them on a bracket, as I saw in Damon's thread:

http://www.ultraviol...26-damons-gear/ .

As to the EL Nikkor, probably as soon as I can get one I will give a try, but the 34.5mm front thread of the first and said better version (chrome/black metal) is a bit discouraging. Saw that there is a site selling a fitting adapter, though.

Ciao!

Hello Andrea from another Andrea (but female !!). And Welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy our site.

Preliminary tests show somewhat disappointing results: I am able to achieve slow shutter speeds only (say, 1/6 of a second in a fully sunny day), even at f/1.8 or f/2.5, so something must be wrong in my camera/lens/filter/lighting chain; or in my technique.

No, this sounds about right for outdoors when using an unmodified camera and an ordinary lens. Indeed it sounds pretty good. There is not much UV in sunlight, so exposures will always be longer. And, with an ordinary lens, the coatings and glass elements further attenuate the UV light. And, while the unmodified D70 can achieve a UV exposure, it would be faster after modification. Of course, a good UV flash would help.

WARNING about UV PORTRAITs: UV is harmful to the eyes. I don't think it is wise to flash a UV flash into someone's eyes. Better to have them sit still in good strong sunlight while you make the portrait.

34.5 step-ring adapters are available. Here's one place on Ebay. http://stores.ebay.c...=p2047675.l2563

Look there for more. I think I got mine out of Hong Kong.

ADDED: I looked at your work on your websites. Great stuff!! Cool, interesting. The Abstractions was a favorite page. And some of the faces are amazing. For example this one: http://www.andreafes...12/05/Hum29.jpg

for the old style (chrome) El NIkkor 80, only one guy in Russia makes the adapter to 52mm, I think it is 34.5 to 52mm. and the person charges $28 (free shipping)...most other adapters are $2 to $5 from Hongkong or USA.