UltravioletPhotography

Hoya carnosa [Wax Plant]

Huang, Z.Y. (2014) Hoya carnosa Thunb (Apocynaceae) Wax Plant. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...nosa/#entry3643

Okemos, Michigan, USA

15 July, 2014

Cultivar in home garden

Comment:

Photographs taken in the back porch of our house. The plant was grown inside a pot.

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia....nicera_japonica

Equipment

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5-broadband + El Nikkor 80mm f/4.5].

Visible Light [ ISO160, S8612 (1.75 mm thick), Canon Speedlite 199A with front cover removed]

1. Single flower, shutter speed: 1/60 sec, F/48, flash on hotshoe

post-41-0-95120000-1405560771.jpg

2. Inflorescence, shutter speed: 1/60 sec, F/48, flash on hotshoe

post-41-0-57905300-1405560747.jpg

Ultraviolet [f/8, S8612 (1.75mm thick) + UG11 (1 mm thick), Canon Speedlite 199A with front cover removed]

3. Single flower, 1/60 sec, F/8, flash on hotshoe

post-41-0-05424300-1405560784.jpg

4. Inflorescence, F/8, exposure 1 sec, with flash fired by hand (3x closer to flower than hotshoe)

post-41-0-55257400-1405560762.jpg

These are very nice. I have obtained the same UV signature from material cultivated in my country. H. carnosa also exhibits a pretty UVIFL. Try that if you not already have tested it.

Bjorn,

Thank you! you have almost all the flowers!

i need to buy a UV torch..I might try the mineral light tonight but it has some visible light (i broke the dark glass which blocks the visual).

Andrea, do you have a link to buy the same type of yours? there are so many brands I am not sure which one is the right one.

Edited July 19, 2014: I used the mineral light last night and saw this...some hint of UV induced visible fluorescence?

http://ww2.beetography.com/var/resizes/UV/P1110524-UVIVF.jpg

Hard to say. I'm not sure there is much UV to induce fluorescence in the first place?

My UVIFL image of H. carnosa looks like this,

HOYA_CAR_I0803196863_UVIFL.jpg

Nichia 365 nm UV LED torch. ISO 200, 15 sec. f/11, D200, Kodak 2E filter.

hmmm, quite different...I used only 3 seconds...perhaps there were too much visual light in my photo. and these were just reflections? I need a torch....

Zach, my Nichia 365 UV-Led torch was made by Don McLeish and is called the Titanium Haiku. It cost approximately $500 a few years back. I think the Nichia chips have been improved since then.

Don uses the screen name McGizmo and hangs out on the CandlePower Forums: http://www.candlepow...om/vb/forum.php

You will probably have to search out his email address on that site and write him about what he is making these days.

A powerful UV LED torch is one of the many (indispensable) tools for a UV photographer. Do remember always to put on your UV-protective goggles before such a torch is used.

Evaluting UV-induced fluorescence is a major field of application of course. However, the torch can also be used for a quick assessment of the suitability of a lens for UV photography: shine the UV torch into the lens and look for signs of a haze inside. This usually appears brownish and if present, is a clear sign that the lens will block UV.

I have seen on the web some 5 and 10 w ones, just the bulb though, and one has to have a torch to house them.

Alex,

can you share some links where you bought them? I should try to get one and test. Thanks.

Zach

I am again not getting email notifications from UVP. Something is not right.

Zach, eBay item 111019138285, for example.

Alex: I have observed the same issue with notifications after the migration to a new server for UVP. We are investigating the cause.
  • 2 weeks later...

Alex,

thank you!

Zach

I am again not getting email notifications from UVP. Something is not right.

Zach, eBay item 111019138285, for example.