UltravioletPhotography

Pilosella peleteriana [Shaggy Mouse-ear Hawkweed]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2013. Pilosella peleteriana (Mérat) F. W. Schultz & Sch. Bip. (Asteraceae). Shaggy Mouse-ear Hawkweed. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...e-ear-hawkweed/

Pilosella peleteriana (Mérat) F. W. Schultz & Sch. Bip.

Syn. Hieracium macrolepideum Norrl.; H. peleterianum Mérat

NO: Mattesveve; mattesvæve

SE: Mattfibbla

DK: Mat Høgeurt

FI: Mäkikeltano

DE: Peletiers Habichtskraut

EN: Shaggy Mouse-ear-hawkweed

One of the most common of the Hawkweeds in the genus Pilosella, P. peletariana has a strict European distribution and is generally found in dry habitats with a low or lacking vegetation cover. This species is not apomictic and thus shows a considerable plasticisity in its appearance. Being able to interbred with other sexual members of the genus adds to the range of variation seen.

Flowering commences in late spring (May to early June) and the plants sometimes only survive the summer by means of its runners and new shoots sprouting from them. The flower heads occur solitary on long-haired scapes 10-30 cm tall. Small pollinators vist these flowers frequently.

PILO_PEL_I0905110982_VIS.jpg

Image reference: PILO_PEL_I0905110982_VIS.jpg

Visible light. Fuji Finepix S3 Pro UVIR LE, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader UV/IR blocking filter.

PILO_PEL_I0905110984_UV.jpg

Image reference: PILO_PEL_I0905110984_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light. Fuji Finepix S3 Pro UVIR LE, Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, Baader U 2" (Venus) filter, daylight.

As usual with Pilosella species, the flower heads appear very dark in UV light.

[Published 30 Jan 2013]

• 1 year later...

No wonder as they are distinctly European in their occurrence. Some might even say they are European nightmares with respect to taxonomy. This is due to the mixed sexual and asexual behaviour of the taxa to allow some additional natural variation by cross-breeding.

While there appears to be a clear difference in UV appearance between the Hieracium s.str. and the Pilosella, the former having bull's-eye signatures and the latter being rendered UV-dark or even black, red-coloured members of Pilosella may show slightly more UV-bright ligules.