UltravioletPhotography

Ranunculus platanifolius [Large White Buttercup]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2014. Ranunculus platanifolius L. (Ranunculaceae). Large White Buttercup. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...hite-buttercup/

Ranunculus platanifolius L.

NO: Hvitsoleie; kvitsoleie

SE: Vitsippsranunkel

DK: Lønbladet Ranunkel

DE: Platanenblättriger Hahnenfuß

EN: Large White Buttercup

This is a tall, up to 1.5 m, perennial species found in rich moist meadows and open deciduous forests in upland and mountainous regions, mainly in Scandinavia and the Alps of continental Europe. For a member of the large Ranunculus genus it is unusual in having snowy white flowers. The flowers are borne on terminal branches of a large and open inflorescence. Each flower is around 1 cm wide and the petals (actually, honey leaves) lack any sign of the basal yellow patch one observes for the aquatic members of the genus, all of which have white flowers with a yellow centre. Flowering is early-mid July on its Nordic sites. I have hardly observed bees visiting these flowers, however many smaller pollinators frequent them.

Material collected and photographed at Balestrand, Western Norway (elevation 600 m a.s.l.) 4 July, 2012.

RANU_PLA_B1207042545_VIS.jpg

Image reference: RANU_PLA_B1207042545_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon D300, Medical-Nikkor 120 mm f/4 lens, built-in ring flash.

RANU_PLA_I1207040954_UV.jpg

Image reference: RANU_PLA_I1207040954_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Panasonic GH-2 (modified), Coastal Optics 50 mm f/4 lens, Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

I have photographed R. platanifolius in UV several times and its appearance is always the same. The petals are moderately reflective in UV and there is no sign of a basal dark patch. However, towards the base each petal is slightly more UV reflective so appear brighter. The anthers and stigmas are UV black. The flowers appear 'velvety' by the presence of conical cells.

[Published 6 July 2014]