UltravioletPhotography

Vinca minor [Common Periwinkle]

Damon

Noe, D. (2014) Vinca minor L. (Apocynaceae) Common Periwinkle. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...85-vinca-minor/

Delmont, New Jersey, USA

18 April 2014

Non-Native Wildflower

Synonyms:

• Lesser Periwinkle
  • Dwarf Periwinkle

Comment:

A fairly common ground cover plant found in yards and around man-made structures. Considered to be an aggressive invasive plant. Rarely found in the interior of New Jersey woodlands though. UV absorption in the central area of flower.

References:

Invasive Plant Atlas of the United States (2014) Common Periwinkle.

Equipment [Nikon D70 Unmodified + EL-Nikkor 80mm f/5.6]

Visible Light [1/320s @f/11 iso200]

post-51-0-92710000-1404523315.jpg

Image Reference: DN2248

Ultraviolet Light [2s @f/8 iso200, 3 Vivitar 285HV flashes, Baader UV-Pass Filter]

post-51-0-66483700-1404523333.jpg

Image Reference: DN2249

Published 4 July 2014

Your Vinca minor is very similar in UV to the European specimens I have photographed

A minor nit to pick, though. 'UV signature' refers to the overall appearance of a flower, not whether some parts are dark and others not.

Damon, I'm very pleased to see you making formal posts now. Your contributions are most welcome!

I will make some very format minor edits:

• name order - Last Comma First_Initial
  • missing link to this Vinca post in top line
  • minor order change in top line - common name after family name
  • rework bare link (That is a great website you found. I'm going to add it to my links list.)

You can re-word the comment as per Bjørn's suggestion.

Looking good !! Carry on !!

Thanks to you both.

Bjørn--It makes sense it is very similar as it is supposed to have come from over in Europe, Netherlands and some other adjacent areas. I knew I would get some stuff goofed up regarding the UV signature but no worries, I have no ego to bruise. Duly noted and appreciate the feedback. Should we try and describe more details? What are some relevant/useful characteristics that I should look for and comment about (aside from dark and reflective)?

Andrea--I will go ahead and make these edits. I thought I had put the link in. I have been busy taking pictures while stuff is blooming so have quite a few to add when I make the time. I am sure you know what that is all about.:(

My watermelons have a gigantic yellow flower that only open early morning so I am getting that guy tomorrow.

Cheers,

Damon