UltravioletPhotography

Lonicera japonica [Japanese Honeysuckle]

Huang, Z.Y. (2014) Lonicera japonica Thunb (Caprifoliaceae) Japanese Honeysuckle. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...icera-japonica/

Okemos, Michigan, USA

20 June, 2014

Cultivar in home garden

Other Common Names:

Comment:

Photographs taken in my front garden. Shot in my own garden. I was interested to see if the visual change of color (initially white, then turn to yellow with age) was accompanied with changes under UV. but I saw very little difference as shown by the four photographs here below. I have seen humming birds, bumble bees and honey bees foraging on this plant.

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia....nicera_japonica

Equipment

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5-broadband + El Nikkor 80mm f/4.5].

Visible Light [f/8, ISO160, S8612 (1.75 mm thick), natural light]

1. two flowers, shutter speed: 1/30 sec

post-41-0-43101100-1404403418.jpg

2. many flowers, shutter speed: 1/40 sec

post-41-0-33359700-1404403419.jpg

UV showing similar reflectance for the two colors under visible light.

Ultraviolet [f/8, S8612 (1.75mm thick) + UG11 (1 mm thick), natural light]

3. a single pair, ISO 160, exposure 10 sec

post-41-0-95622400-1404403418.jpg

4. many flowers, ISO 400, exposure 3.2 sec.

post-41-0-75890300-1404403419.jpg

Zach, this is good work. And an interesting observation that the Visible yellow & white flowers show no difference in UV.

I like the 2nd UV photo which shows how the brighter open flowers stand out against the slightly darker leaves.

Please make this a formal post.

Ahh, nice one!

I went to shoot some Honeysuckles about a week and a half ago and they were all gone!

​They must bloom later in Michigan than Tennessee.

I would have expected different Vis colors to show at least some UV difference.

Andrea,

thank you! will do. perhaps after I come back from a meeting in IL. (sunday next week).

The Tropaeolum seems to be the reverse: I found three different colors (red, pink, light pink) showing different UV reflectivity. I believe that family is still blank...i can do a formal post for that one also.

Zach, this is good work. And an interesting observation that the Visible yellow & white flowers show no difference in UV.

I like the 2nd UV photo which shows how the brighter open flowers stand out against the slightly darker leaves.

Please make this a formal post.

My wife has cultivated some in my front yard. they are still blooming. I believe they will for the most of the summer. Please feel free to come over :)

Ahh, nice one!

I went to shoot some Honeysuckles about a week and a half ago and they were all gone!

​They must bloom later in Michigan than Tennessee.

I would have expected different Vis colors to show at least some UV difference.