UltravioletPhotography

Utricularia sandersonii

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2014. Utricularia sandersonii Oliv. (Lentibulariaceae). Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...ia-sandersonii/

This is a terrestrial member of the large Utricularia genus of carnivorous plants. It is endemic to South Africa, where it occurs on wet seepage rocks. U. sandersonii has become a favourite in the community of carnivorous plant enthusiasts because it is easy to cultivate. The traps are borne on the foliage at or just below the substrate surface.

I shot these plants in a terrarium in Botanical Garden of the University of Copenhagen, Denmark 29 June 2014. As access to the specimens in cultivation was limited, I had to shoot through the enclosing glass panes, so probably the UV rendition might have suffered slightly.

UTRI_SAN_B1406291528_VIS.jpg

Image reference: UTRI_SAN_B1406291528_VIS.jpg

The zygomorphic corolla features two narrow upwards-pointing lobes that makes the entire flower look very 'rabbit'-like. The long curved spur adds to the visual character as well.

UTRI_SAN_I1406291885_UV.jpg

Image reference: UTRI_SAN_I1406291885_UV.jpg

The entire corolla is moderately reflective in UV. Do note that the need to shoot through a window pane may have cut back some of the UV features.

UTRI_SAN_I1406291885_UV_100pct.jpg

Image reference: UTRI_SAN_I1406291885_UV_100pct.jpg

A 100% detail from the previous photograph to indicate how the spur is densely covered with long conical cells.

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D3200 (modified), Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, internal Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

[ Published 8 July 2014]