UltravioletPhotography

Legousia speculum-veneris [Venus' Looking Glass]

nfoto

Rørslett, B. 2014. Legousia speculum-veneris (L.)Chaix (Campanulaceae). Venus' Looking Glass. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...-looking-glass/

Legousia speculum-veneris (L.)Chaix

NO: Venusspeil

EN: [European] Venus' Looking Glass

A small delicate flower native to Europe, and found mainly in the southern parts of the continent. It grows in dry meadows and on disturbed sites. The purplish flowers open only in direct sunshine.

Material collected in Lovćen Nature Reserve, Montenegro, at an altitude of 900 m a.s.l.

LEGO_SPE_I1406241208_VIS.jpg

Image reference:LEGO_SPE_I1406241208_VIS.jpg

Visible light: Nikon Df, Voigtländer APO-Lanthar 125 mm f/2.5 lens, daylight

LEGO_SPE_I1406241707_UV.jpg

Image reference: LEGO_SPE_I1406241707_UV.jpg

Ultraviolet light: Nikon D3200 (modified), Coastal Optics 60 mm f/4 APO lens, internal Baader U2" (Venus) filter, SB-140 flash.

The striking UV signature of L. speculum-veneris is different from all other species catalogued so far. It reminds slightly of that of Campanula patula, but is much more pronounced in its two-part differentiation. The outer lobes of the corolla are highly reflective in UV, while their inner parts are UV-darker. This dark region roughly corresponds to the 'throat' section of the campanulate flowers found in the genus Campanula. The style is UV-black.

L. speculum-veneris is a reminder that the world of UV signatures never ceases to surprise.

[Published 2 July 2014]