UltravioletPhotography

Meyer-Optik Görlitz 35mm f/4.5 Primagon for UV

Andrea B.

Here is a quick test showing the Meyer-Optik Görlitz 35mm f/4.5 Primagon is good for UV photography.

Feel free to addto this thread any photos you might have made with this lens.

Lens Mount [M42=Pentax Screwmount]

Lens Filter Size [49mm]

Lens Flange Focal Distance [45.46mm, Pentax]

The Primagon is nicely made from aluminum. It has an easily used aperture preset ring which is lifted (towards the front of the lens) and then rotated to the desired aperture.

My copy is very sharp at f/8-f/11 as can be seen in the Visible photo. I failed to re-focus for UV prior to shooting the UV shot so please do not judge sharpness by that photo.

The close-focus is about a foot.

During my first test of the Primagon I discovered that the front element can come unscrewed - and fall off. This resulted in a bit of comedy as I tried to refit the wavy washer which popped out. So be sure to check the front element if you get one. I probably loosened it when I was trying to fit step-rings for use with the Baader-U.

I have read (somewhere?) that Primagons with a red V have coatings. My copy does not have the red V.

Camera [Pentax K5-broadband]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/500" @ ISO 160 in Sunlight with Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

It was hot. The flowers and I were all wilting.

meyerOptikGorlitzPrimagon354.5VisSun_062114wf_005origpn.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1" @ ISO 160 in Sunlight with Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Reminder - I failed to refocus prior to making this shot. You'd think I'd know by now !!

meyerOptikGorlitzPrimagon354.5UVSun_062114wf_010origpn.jpg

oh man I really need to reshoot that.

lamest fotos ever.

The flowers are kind of "sad" indeed :lol:

One thing to consider is the picture of the lens itself. Many third party lenses were made in multiple versions, with different upgrades, including upgrade in coating and, sometimes, optical formulas. Mechanical upgrades are less relevant for us. So, I think it would be very useful to have a picture of the lens being tested.

I agree Alex. :lol: I will add photos of the lenses to the tests.

I'm not much into testing (as is obvious!), but I felt I should try to share some info about the nice lenses I've accumulated in hopes of helping others find something they might like to use.