UltravioletPhotography

Glowing Millipedes

I got a 365nm flashlight the other day and was walking around outside at night and saw all these little blue things walking around. Picked one up and it was a millipede. I have a bunch living in a tank until I can get some more proper photos and then I will return them safely back to their surroundings. This UV stuff is just freakin' amazing.

I have a homemade bog garden full of different pitcher plants (one being Sarracenia pupurea) and none of them fluoresce under my light. I read an article from Smithsonian that stated they (pupurea) do glow. Should I be using a 385/395nm light or does that not matter? I don't have a gauge but I got my light from what looked like a reputable establishment that stated it was 365nm. And it did glow these millipedes whereas my friends UV "mineral/rock light" would not.

-D

post-51-0-78550200-1402973633.jpg

Very cool, Damon. I for one did not know that these critters fluoresced under UV light although I did know about scorpions' fluorescence.

You will simply have to experiment to determine which is better for arthropod fluorescence - a 385nm or a 365nm range in the UV-A range.

Just do not use any UV-C light because it kills things - which is why it is used for sterilization.

Whoa! Great, now I have another thing to do. :)

I live in the woods so there should be lots of stuff glowing for me. I think I partly figured out my now glowing pitcher pants. As soon as I put my baader U in front of the flashlight, it got dim but other stuff started to florescence--including some pitcher pants. I do need another wavelength though to have more options. I will try a 385 from this same company. So if I put the baader in front of the flashlight--do I still absolutely need something in front of my camera lens? a UV/IR cut filter maybe. Until I get that I am going to try some more.

I am curious about moths as well.

Thanks for the replies.

-D

In good fluorescence photography both the UV illumination source and camera lens are filtered, and the photograph is made in the dark.

You typically see UV-induced Visible Fluorescence (UVIVF) photography on this website and others such as Flickr. This is done (or supposed to be done) by using a Baader UV-Pass filter (or other UV-Pass filter) over the UV-Led torch to ensure that there are no visible leaks (violet or maybe blue) and no IR leaks. Then a Baader UVIR-Cut filter is used on the camera lens to ensure that you are recording only Visible fluorescence. And after setting up the light/camera/subject, you turn off the lights and shoot in the dark so that no ambient light induces its own fluorescence - somewhat unlikely in the typical flower or millipede, I grant you - and so that you and the camera can actually see the fluorescence because there is no stray visible light reflecting off the subject from other sources.

If you are recording the Visible Fluorescence with a newer, ordinary (i.e., non-converted camera) which has a strong internal UVIR-Cut filter, then you can probably skip using the Baader UVIR-Cut on the lens if shooting in the dark.

UV wavelengths can induce UV fluorescence, Visible fluorescence or Infrared fluorescence. It is possible to induce more than one kind of fluorescence in some subjects.

It is very interesting to attempt UV-induced Infrared Fluorescence by using an B+W 093 IR-Pass filter (830nm) on the lens of a broadband camera.

Both the Baader UV-Pass and UVIR-Cut filters are broadband. In scientific experimentation, there are usually tighter requirements on induction and output. Translating that to photography would mean using a narrowband UV-pass filter on the illumination source and narrowband Visible-pass filtering on the camera lens.

Somebody please tell me if I got something wrong there in the preceding post, OK? :)

I think I partly figured out my now glowing pitcher pants.

Damon, you cool dude you, they're glowing because the Yanks won tonight !!

Dellin Betances looked pretty good as relief pitcher - threw a couple at 99mph - talk about glowing !!

Here is a fluorescent spidey:

http://www.ultraviol...e-fluorescence/

Wonderful information thank you very much for such a detailed response.

I have no more excuses at this point. Your small tutorial I can now go back to when needed--excellent.

How were you able to get all 3 pics of spidey? It seems like it would have to hang around in the same spot for quite some time.

The reason the baader idea hit me was the flashlight is pretty bright and I began wondering that if it is a UV flashlight, then why am I seeing the light? So after putting on the baader in front of the flashlight, it got dim but I could still see the light with my eyes. Now how can I still see the light if it is only UV at that point? Should we be able to see UV at night? Should I not be looking at it?

Yanks--no fair, it's not even over here yet! Maybe I can place a couple quick bets... :)

-D

The little spider lived on the plant for quite some time. Eventually it and the plant moved outside to a sheltered location.

It is not clear what you might be seeing from your UV flashlight. Are you seeing the actual beam of the flashlight? Or are you seeing the circular end spot as it reflects off of something? When shined on paper which typically has optical brighteners, you will see some bright fluorescence. Similarly if you shine it onto most white clothing.

When shined through a Baader U, you might be seeing just a bit of near-UV or Visible violet. Visible light does not end "suddenly" at 400nm. IIRC, the Baader U may leak a very tiny bit of violet. I think most of us see a few nanometers beyond 400nm - some folks maybe down to 380nm?? It would likely look still violet in that part of the spectrum.

Oh man, did I give away the game? I was watching real-time on channel 11.

Well I made a 5 minute fix with a plastic jar lid and some duct tape and now have a nice little setup that I can put into my rubber lens hood firmly (which has Baader in it) and use the UV flashlight with one hand.

I quickly found out when trying to take a spittle bug tonight (they glow like crazy) that any ambient light is a no no and my whole rig needs to be improved and setup differently. I will improve on it tomorrow as I cobbled this together real fast. Maybe I even need to take stuff indoors where their is zero light. Also found a daddy long leg and it glowed as well as the inner wings of those brown beetles that fly up against your screen at night if you have a porch light on.

The biggest obstacle now seems to be time--not enough of it.

I now know that I am seeing the spot where the light hits--not the light beams themselves. Which is a relief.

Prophecy is still a lost art--you did not see the same game I was referring to. :)

-D

You wrote pitcher PANTS, not plants. :lol: Which was why I was riffing on the game.

Haha. That is pretty darn funny. Pitcher Pants. Top notch sneaking that one by me. I am on to you now though...no more low hanging fruit. Yeah right.

It is true I am all thumbs on this darn keyboard. I need to start previewing my post! :lol: