UltravioletPhotography

New member from Peterborough UK

dunksargent

dunksargent

HI, I'm Dunk Sargent resident in Peterborough UK - member of Peterborough Photographic Society and The Leica Society - and my main photographic interest is close-up photography. I enjoy planning macro projects (easier to write that than use the correct term 'photomacrography') and making /adapting apparatus to achieve the desired images. I used to be a devout user of macro lenses and have a good selection - but discovered that compact cameras and compact system cameras can give just as good results for most purposes if used with achromatic c/u lenses e.g. ancient Leitz Elpro c/u lenses.

In recent months I've investigated UV photography and after much deliberation decided to have a Panasonic G1 converted for 'full spectrum' imaging - it was an existing camera deserving of more use and is a cost effective solution - thus now await its return fitted with a full spectrum filter. I almost decided to import a ready converted FS camera from USA but could not find one with an articulated screen within my budget. The G1 is a very under-rated camera and cheap as chips (£60 ish ) - because it's a 'stills only' model (no video). High ISO performance might be a bit underwhelming but we managed very well in the film era with ASA 100 - 400.

Many months ago I acquired a 35mm Noflexar with M42 mount which will be easy to adapt to M4/3 and last week acquired an El Nikkor 80/5.6 (Mk I) and a Baader-U filter - latter requires the filter to be 'flipped' in its mount which plan to do asap. Whether my Elpro lenses can be utilised for closer focus with UV experiments remains to be seen - they are cemented doublets but although Leitz invented Absorban lens cement which is UV blocking, the Elpros might not have been made by Leitz 'in house'. I also have some prewar Leitz Micro Summar lenses which are worthy of UV experimentation - they are uncoated and might not have cemented elements - but i've no idea whether the actual glass is UV friendly.

A UV light source is currently is being researched/considered. I have an ancient PK 130 Z ring flash which might be suitable - powered by a Metz 60 drypack - but need to test it. The flash can be used 'bare-tube' without its lens; I may try polishing the flash tube with metal polish to remove any coating. Hoewever, the PK ring flash can only be used on full power - which might not be fully suitable for the intended application. Another light source being considered is a Metz 45 hammerhead flash which can be powered by a Quantum 2 battery - the ancient Quantum battery was purchased s/h last year and has been re-celled. The advantage of a Metz 45 is that the output is variable in manual mode. I have read that the Metz 45 lens can be removed relatively easily and replaced with acetate - so I may try this but will etch the acetate to provide a less harsh light output. The Metz would be used with a trigger voltage resistor. Basic Metz 45 hammerheads can be sourced for less than £30 each in the UK on s/h dealers' websites.

Lots still to learn but looking forward to experimenting and achieving some useful results.

Best wishes

dunk

Welcome aboard Dunk

I will be interested in seeing your photos with this camera.

I am sure others will comment on your gear choices.

Cheers

Col

Hello, Dunk and welcome to UVP. I hope you enjoy the site.

The converted G1 with the Noflexar and the Baader-U will give you a good start towards UV photography. You can try a few test shots in strong sunlight to get started while you figure out what you might like to add for a UV flash.

We will look forward to your experiments with those Elpro lenses to see if they are usable for UV.