UltravioletPhotography

Hello -- anyone in the NYC area?

Anne Hall

I have been working in photography for decades and teach it to at a college in NYC.

I am interested in trying my hand at photographing flowers the way others here have so beautifully demonstrated.

If there are any experience folks in the NYC area, please find me. I would love to see someone else's process or possibly collaborate.

I like finding visual examples of how little we humans know about the vast world we so effortlessly destroy.

I am assembling a uv setup. Right now I am searching for a jump ring but first am searching for the filter size for the nikkor 80mm. Anyone off the top of your head?

thank you!

Anne

Hello Anne - Welcome to UVP. Hope you enjoy your Ultraviolet adventures.

If you are referring to the 80mm f/5.6 EL-Nikkor enlarging lens, then the front filter size is 40.5mm.

Its flange focal distance is 70mm, so with the proper helicoid/adapter it will attain infinity focus on a Nikon body.

I will have to dig out my records to see where I got the filter step ring, but most likely it was on Ebay.

If it is some other lens you are referring to, then please give us the speed and any other designation on the lens

and we can probably tell you the front filter size.

I started documenting my process here:

http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/229-my-uv-method-andrea-g-blum-from-flower-to-website-18-oct-about-12-done/

It is rather sketchy yet. I have the equipment listed and a bit of the preliminary shooting process.

The older version of El-Nikkor 80mm F/5.6 lens has 34.5mm filter thread size. Adapters are available on the eBay - search for item # 251296844451.

Hi Anne, welcome to UVP.

I am sure you will get all the help you need here.

I am a newby, so I will let better informed people help you here.

Cheers

Col

Alex, thanks for the note about the 80 ELs.

I searched around and found that the older 80/5.6 EL Nikkor (30.5mm filter) has some chrome external parts

while the newer version (40.5mm filter) is all black.

B&H has a 40.5-52mm step-up ring for $27.50 - which is quite pricey as it is a B+W brand.

They are very well made steppers, but I have no complaints about my inexpensive Ebay/Amazon steppers.

http://www.bhphotovi..._Ring_Lens.html

B&H also offers a Sensei brand for $4.50. Much better !!

http://www.bhphotovi...ep_Up_Ring.html

Welcome Anne!

I wouldn't recommend the newer (all black) EL-Nikkors for Outdoor work.

I have had two of them (80 & 105 mm) and found that daylight finds its way to the camera-sensor through the channel that is used to illuminate the aperture values in the darkroom.

Especially wih the longer exposure times for UV-captures the images are completely ruined.

So I sold these lenses and bought the older chrome-black versions without the illuminated aperture. These work reasonable for me.

So you need 34,5 mm step-rings.

Best, Nico

You can fill the enlarger lens aperture illumination windows on the lens mount end

with black nail polish in order to stop the light leak.

Klaus taught me this trick.

If you do not want a permanent solution, the windows can be filled

with a kind of "putty"-like substance (such as Play Dough)

or covered with duct tape (only works on some lenses).

The specialized (rare, and expensive) Rodenstock UV-Rodagon 60mm f/5.6 is really a kind of enlarger lens and

so must must have its illumination windows covered in one of the ways just described

in order for it to be useable on a DSLR as a UV-capable lens.

No way I was going to put black nail polish on that lens !!

I second Nico's recommendation. Get the early version of these EL-Nikkors; these have knurled rings, chromed rings to the rear, and nicely engraved white numerals.

I use the 80 mm f/5.6 EL-Nikkor mainly as a tandem lens with my UV-Nikkor 105 mm f/4.5 lens. This combination gives 2-4X magnification and allows hand-held close-ups in the field.

• 2 weeks later...

Nico,

According to Dr. Savazzi the plate on the rear may be removed and rotated 120° thus covering the dial illumination input.

"Like all lenses of this series, the aperture scale is illuminated through a window in the base of the lens. If this lens is reversed for photomacrography, the mask covering this window can be disassembled and put back rotated by 120°. This covers the window and prevents ambient light from reducing the image contrast."

I have the older chrome version and so have not actually tried this fix, did you perhaps?