UltravioletPhotography

Solstice Greetings to Everyone

Andrea B.

Although the Solstice marks the beginning of some of our coldest days in New Jersey where I live, I always mark it as the beginning of the Return of the Light. I'm convinced I can notice the day's length immediately getting longer. I start planning the summer garden and polishing up the UV lenses for spring flower shoots.

I have just spent the last six weeks near Durango, Colorado at an altitude of about 2200 meters (~7500') more or less. Now that I am finally fully acclimatized and can actually run a bit without wishing for a portable oxygen tank, it is, of course, time to return home. Caring for my sister's home and dogs while she tended her husband's recovery from a heart repair in another state was a chance to work hard on the backlog of UV photographs I have accumulated these last few years. And I did make progress. Many, many folders have been sorted and files edited - and a nice handful of desert wildflowers have been posted. There is yet more to do, but it looks less daunting now.

I will make it back home just in time to help Michael set out the Christmas Eve luminarias which line the streets of our neighborhood on that evening. It is a lovely sight. And this year I will have the pleasure of photographing the glowing candlelight with my new Nikon Df which is sitting there at home waiting patiently for me to unpack it and get started. (Hmmmmm, I wonder if the Df would make a good full-spec UV-cam ??)

And so, let me wish each and everyone of you a Happy Solstice celebrated according to your beliefs and traditions with family and friends around you !!

Best regards -

Andrea B.

Our outdoor thermometer in the shade on our back veranda registered 41C yesterday, 20 December, but fortunately a cool change did come through last night and the forecast today is "only" 30C. You can perhaps begin to see why desert flowers do just fine here. I'm also trying to get over a (small by comparison) backlog of Spring wildflower images for posting.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all,

Dave

Now that's a hot day indeed !! I can typically handle anything up to about 36-38ºC (approx 100ºF) if it is dry enough - like in the deserts. But after that high temps rapidly begin to take their toll.

In New Jersey where I live a mere 30ºC/86ºF can be miserable because of the humidity.

Australia has no Cactus plants, correct? But there must be succulents of some type in the desert areas ??

In Germany we have temperatures just above 0°C (32 F). Most of the years we do not see (much) snow on Christmas, unfortunately. Still there are some flowers around like the Winter jasmine (http://www.ultravioletphotography.com/content/index.php?/topic/586-jasminum-nudiflorum-winter-jasmin/). I hope to find time to publish some images from last summer over the holiday season.

For now I wish everyone here merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Nico

The last months have been unusually mild although we have had a few drops in temperature to -15C or so, and several heavy snowfalls. Currently we are at +2C and all snow has gone. There are no longer any flowers neither native nor cultivated outdoors.

The mild period traditionally occurring just before Christmas is called "kakelinne" in Norwegian and the old saying is the temperature rose because everybody was busy making cakes and food for the upcoming holidays. Christmas of course over here is really considered a seamless continuation of the old Nordic rites predating the Vikings and associated with Winter Solstice. A time to eat lots of food, drink all you can manage (or more), and generally having a good time before the sincerity of the cold deep winter returns.

No cactus but several "succulents" including salt bushes and "pig faces" in our collection of weird and wonderful flora and fauna. The deserts have several species of "spinifex" tough grasses resembling a porcupine that make progress somewhat difficult and hazardous by building up around vehicle exhausts and then bursting into flames. Oh and we have imported camels running wild as well, but at least no lions or tigers although there are "big cat" myths in many parts of the country.

Dave