UltravioletPhotography

Nipponanthemum nipponicum [Long Island Daisy]

Blum, A.G. (2013) Nipponanthemum nipponicum (A. R. Franchet ex Maximowicz) S. Kitamura (Asteraceae) Long Island Daisy. Flowers photographed in ultraviolet and visible light. http://www.ultraviol...g-island-daisy/

Middletown, New Jersey, USA

15 October 2013

Cultivar in home garden

Synonyms:

• Montauk Daisy
  • Nippon Daisy
  • Chrysanthemum nipponicum
  • Leucanthemum nipponicum

Comment:

N. nipponicum is a very late blooming daisy which is quite popular in the New York City area. It has become naturalized on some areas of Staten Island. It is a parent of the Shasta Daisy, Leucanthemum x superbum.

Like its offspring, N. nipponicum exhibits much conical cell shimmer in UV.

Reference:

1. Missouri Botanical Garden (2013) Nipponanthemum nipponicum. http://www.missourib...kempercode=i560

Visible Light [f/11 for 1/125" @ ISO 100 with onboard Flash and Baader UVIR-Block Filter]

chrysanthemumNipponicumVisFlash_101513wf_16210PNcropRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/4.5 for 1/20" @ ISO 400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

Not a wise aperture choice.

chrysanthemumNipponicumUVBaadSB14_101513wf_16219PNcropRes.jpg

Apparently this particular flower head has seen rain recently.

Agree that shooting the UV-Nikkor wide open isn't the best way to get good bokeh in UV.

Its scientific name more than suggests a Japanese heritage :D

Well, interestingly, that is not water on the rays - at least at the time of the photograph. But something has eroded portions of the ray surfaces.
I've have seen similar spotting on flowers and corollas that have experienced rain in the last 1-2 weeks, then dried. So I was not thinking about water per se.

OK, that is likely what has caused the mottled appearance then.

But why would rain cause this mottling sometimes and not other times ? This plant grows near the street, so perhaps some kind of spash of rain combined with street debris from passing tires was harsher on the plant than just plain rain ?