UltravioletPhotography

Pelargonium sp. [Geranium]

Blum, A.G. (2013) Pelargonium L'Héritier sp. (Geraniaceae) Geranium. Flowers photographed in visible and ultraviolet light. http://www.ultraviol...um-sp-geranium/

Twin Pines, La Plata County, Colorado, USA

28 April 2013

Cultivar in home garden

Comment:

Summer geraniums are popularly grown in porch pots and window boxes. It was interesting to discover that they have marked UV-signatures. Compare this geranium's look in UV to the very different 'Imperial' geranium seen here: http://www.ultraviol...regal-geranium/

Equipment: [Nikon D600-broadband + Nikon 105mm f/4.5 UV-Nikkor]

Visible Light [f/8 for 1/800" @ ISO 200 with Nikon Coolpix A]

pelargoniumSpPinkGarden_VisSun_042813twinPinesCO_10178PnCropRes.jpg

Ultraviolet Light [f/8 for 1/100” @ ISO 400 with SB-14 UV-modified Flash and Baader UV-Pass Filter]

pelargoniumSpPinkGardenUVBaadSB14_042813twinPinesCO_10185origRes.jpg

Hi Andrea,

I've captured a similar signature in a Geranium cultivar but the overall contrast is less pronounced. Anyway, the image has some technical shortcommings and therefore I'm showing it just for comparison and won't use it for an own article.

Best, Nico

UV-image, Lumix G1 broadband modified with EL-Nikkor 80/f5.6 at f8, Baader U-filter, 4s, ISO400 daylight (no flash), capture date: 17 September 2012.

post-14-0-42046700-1387052084.jpg

Here is the visible light image for comparison:

post-14-0-74114000-1387052449.jpg

The Pelargonium are interesting and all seem to be a bit different, don't they? We will have to gather some nice examples next summer!

Nico, you could go ahead and post your Pelargonium, then replace it later when you get a better shot ?? I've posted a few that are not so great technically !! But they give us a preliminary idea of what a particular species has to offer. "-)